Saturday 22 June 2019

Film: Toy Story 4

Last night was film - and what came up was Toy Story 4! I was delighted with that - I really enjoy the Toy Story films, although I haven't seen the last one, now available online. That's on in the Barbican Screen 1 - and, of course, I know where that is, now! A couple of Meetup groups were headed to it too, but further out, so I didn't join them. Also on nice and early, leaving me some time to clear out more of my old room - I had to vacate it for this morning, and in fact just a few days ago got an email from the agents, detailing the charges if I didn't follow all their requirements. Boy, am I glad to end my contract with them - they're very hard-nosed.

So, I cleared off just a little earlier than usual - as I left, I explained what I was off to. Cue the boss quoting "To infinity and beyond!" and one of my co-workers wailing that he LOVES those films, watches them with his little boy then again on his own, they're so funny! This was the opening night - cue much jealousy as I waltzed out the door. Mind you, I was a little later than intended - had some stuff to finish - but it's very close anyway. I asked the guy for a "pretty central" seat.. I timed it perfectly, it was just starting as I came in. Had to use the flashlight on my phone to see where my seat was - the dork had given me one right beside the other people sitting in the middle. Nuts to that - I just sat nearer the edge, in glorious isolation: which was handy when my cough flared up, although there were plenty of loud bits to drown that in.

Ah man, this is perfect! Stop reading now and go see it. It's - as ever - perfectly animated; I was fascinated in every scene with the china Bo Peep, watching the shine that shows what she's made of. But it's also hilarious, with perfect comic timing.. loving the new character of Forky! Made from a spork, he's convinced he belongs in the trash - it's Woody's job to keep him out of it. It has scary bits.. check out the ventriloquist's dummies! And near the end, it's touching as hell. Just enthralling - I can't recommend it highly enough. They continue to work magic. Apparently, you need to stay for the credits - as I say, I had moving to be getting on with, so I left. Oh, and I found a quicker way down to Screen 1, as I was leaving - from the entrance, continue straight ahead to the end, where the lifts are. They go straight down to Level -2, where Screen 1 is!

Much moving was done last night - it went too late to blog, considering I had stuff to do this morning, and had to be up early. This morning, I had to give back the key by 11.30 - or face a £30 penalty. In the end, I arrived 15 minutes late and very frazzled, with one final load from the flat, which I refused point blank to carry up the stairs to the office - I ignored their warning, and risked leaving it at the foot of the stairs. Where it was absolutely fine. And since the guy just took the key, asking me to write the address and my name on a postit to go with it, and I didn't see him write down the time he received it - I might have gotten away with leaving it in late, shh!

To celebrate the end of all that kerfuffle, I have a full day planned with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) in the Arcola - Radio, followed by The Glass Menagerie. Doubtless we'll grab a bite to eat in between, but haven't decided where yet. Looking forward to that, now I've eaten and rested a bit, and removed some layers - this is the warmest day in ages!

Tomorrow, back with UITCS for 549: Scots of the Spanish Civil War, at the New Diorama Theatre. Haven't been there before.

On Monday, Helen and her husband were supposed be in town, but can't make it now. Never mind, when I checked, UITCS had posted a new event; Wife is on in the Kiln (which used to be the Tricycle), and - possibly just for that day - all tickets bought by tomorrow are £10! So I'm joining them for that - we are, of course, picking top price seats, and taking up pretty much the whole of the front row of the Circle.

On Tuesday, back with UITCS for a performance at Sadler's Wells by the Birmingham Royal Ballet.

On Wednesday - not with UITCS!! Instead, I'm back with London Literary Walks - this is The Third Westminster Walk, and on past experience, should be fascinating.

On Thursday - yes of course, back with UITCS.. for On Your Feet at the Coliseum: the musical about Emilio and Gloria Estefan. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

..and then we're into next month! On the 1st, nothing much on Meetup - instead, I got a cheap ticket to some quite local comedy - Catch 22 Years is a WIP by Katie O' Brien, at The Glory

On the 2nd, I'm headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so haven't RSVPed to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Free, no registration required.

On the 3rd, London Literary Walks is taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green.

On the 4th, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well (not counting drinks!), it'll be a cheap week.

And on the 5th, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment