Thursday 13 June 2019

Film: Beats

Tonight - you guessed it, it was going to be film. Hovering at the top of the list was one called Beats - the story of a couple of Glasgow lads in '94, involved in staging an illegal rave. Trailer looked decent, so I said I'd give it a shot. Closest showing at a reasonable time was in the Castle Cinema - again, Google Maps had me doubling back on myself, so I decided I'd probably amend their directions slightly. Not booking out, so I didn't book either - although I kept an eye on it.

Even the optimistic Google Maps thought that any bus would take nearly an hour - so it was kind of inevitable that I'd run a bit late. Sod it though, I thought - it's a cinema, there'll be ads, they don't mind people coming in late. I was a bit miserable, waiting for my delayed bus in the rain and cold, though.. and boy, did that bus fill up along the way! Just as well I wasn't at a later stop - at some, we had to turn people away.

As I say, the route involved doubling back - that bus describes a kind of loop, and looking at where I was going, I decided I'd be better off hopping out at the beginning of that loop and taking a shortcut across: so that's what I did. And as I dashed through the estates, I figured I was probably correct in that. I was late already.. and when I got there, it didn't help that the cinema shares space with a Spar! So if you walk in the main door, it quickly becomes apparent that there's no cinema there. No, what you have to do is head in the side door and up the stairs to a comfy-looking bar, which has two screens off it - I bought a ticket, the guy checked and said it'd been on for 10 minutes or so. Damnit, a cinema without tons of ads - who'd have thought? He also said I could sit wherever was free.

Up more stairs, pushed through two heavy doors, and I was in - and sure enough, it was already playing; I don't think I missed anything essential, though. It's very fetching to look at - shot in black and white, the only colour comes through the music, quite cleverly. The story is about two teens, about to take very different paths in life - as school breaks up and summer starts, they decide to go for broke with the night of their lives.

I've gotta confess, I love this music, and I think that's kind of a must for this film - because you can't avoid it. This is actually the closest that a film can come to giving the experience of a rave. (Contains flashing images.) The background is the publication of the real-life Criminal Justice and Public Order Act - and for sure, I remember all the panic surrounding illegal raves, and all the over-reacting about the drug use and criminality associated with them. Anyway, it does lend a frisson to proceedings, as the boys connect with an underground rave network, and end up running just a step ahead of the law - particularly problematic, as one of them has a stepfather on the force!

Think Trainspotting, but way better - ruder, cruder, more in your face. Irresistibly joyous. This has a more realistic theme - and how nostalgic it is, for those of us of a certain vintage! The boys are endearingly out of their depth, the scrapes they get into reminded me of things that happened to, and around, me, back in the day. And the rave is so lovingly reproduced that it's obviously intended as an homage. Kudos, this is a terrific film - I'm so glad that this is what I decided to do tonight. As one guy remarked to his companion on the way out - "I knew it was going to be good but..!!" Quite. Go see. Simple as. This one will stay with me - one of the best films I've seen. 

The bus home, ironically, I caught on my shortcut, which has one-way traffic - and it only took me half the time to get home, of course. People on the bus were debating the constant warnings that the route would change from Saturday - yes, several bus routes are going to change dramatically, it seems! Anyway, tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, back with the London European Club - we're off to the Globe, for Twelfth Night! When I booked, the only tickets left were in the Middle Gallery, and now they're completely sold out. Hope it's not too cold, is all.

On Tuesday, headed for a meal. Now, Let's Do This has been my go-to group for meals, but one of the organisers has branched out and formed a new group - Civilised London. So I'm headed to eat with them! This time, it's Ecuadorian - we're headed to the Myddleton Arms for a drink, from which we'll make our way to El Inca Pleyebo. Should be interesting!

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats enticed me with an invitation to go see The Damned, by the Comédie Francaise, at the Barbican. (Surtitles provided.)

And next Thursday, I've booked with Spooky London for another pub night - this time it's in The Flask. However, our monthly office curry night might be that night - watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment