Monday 24 June 2019

Play: Wife

Today, Helen and her husband were supposed be in town, but couldn't make it in the end. Never mind, when I checked, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) had posted a new event; Wife is on in the Kiln (which used to be the Tricycle), and - possibly just for today - all tickets bought by yesterday were £10! So I joined them for that - we, of course, picked top price seats, and took up pretty much the whole of the front row of the Circle.

I left work later than intended - felt bad leaving before the boss, you know! Damnit, he would be working late - well, he did come in later than usual. Turned out that the bus journey would take too long, so I went by Tube - damn, it's uncomfortable in this hot weather! Mind you, the Central Line has the reputation as the worst on the network - there was much more space on the Jubilee Line. Still, I was relieved to get off - I was hot, sticky, sweaty, and had one of those coughing fits just as I neared the end of the journey. Dirty looks from the guy down the corridor were not appreciated!

It rained, ever so slightly, as I made my way to the theatre - indeed, I nearly missed the entrance, which I always remember as being discreet. Still, the last time I was there was over three years ago! So it's only natural that I got lost looking for the box office - it's in the same place as before, past the bar. Had an interesting problem collecting my ticket, as the guy asked for my postcode, and recognised neither of the last two - as it happened, the website hadn't let me update my address, which was, of course, that from three years ago. Never mind, I had a screenshot of my order email to show him.

There's some fetching new decor - sadly, I didn't have much time to snap photos. It was remarked, though, that for a multi-million-pound refurbishment, they could have spent something on aircon! It was sweltering in the bar. Mercifully, the aircon was fully functional in the theatre itself.



My cough did flare up a bit, as usual - but I sat on it pretty quickly with those sweets I bought yesterday. Now, this play is an unusual beast - I really don't think the website's description depicts accurately what actually happens. The whole thing revolves around Ibsen's A Doll's House, and yes, starts in 1959, with an unhappily married young woman who falls in love with another woman, starring in a production of it.

However, this is no preparation for what ensues, as we hop through decades and generations, and examine the nature of relationships, and the restrictive nature of marriage through the ages (just like Nora, in A Doll's House). The scenes are played in completely different styles, some of them utterly outrageous. We get some truly odd characters - but always a connection back to the past.

I liked it - I'd thought the first scene was OTT until I realised that it was meant to represent the entire story from that era. And I liked how it returned, at the end, to where it had started. It's a bumpy ride - but an interesting production. Runs till the 6th. Afterwards, back to catch the Tube again - less crowded now, at least - in light rain, which was very refreshing.

Tomorrow, back with UITCS for a performance at Sadler's Wells by the Birmingham Royal Ballet.

On Wednesday, Helen and her husband are joining me for lunch, as they're going on a guided walk that finishes near the office. We considered Byron Burger, but they were completely booked till 2pm - instead, we're headed to Pizza Express, which is more off the beaten track. That evening - not with UITCS!! Instead, I'm back with London Literary Walks - this is The Third Westminster Walk, and on past experience, should be fascinating.

On Thursday - yes of course, back with UITCS.. for On Your Feet at the Coliseum: the musical about Emilio and Gloria Estefan. A couple of people from tonight going. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

..and then we're into next month! Next Monday, nothing much on Meetup - instead, I got a cheap ticket to some quite local comedy - Catch 22 Years is a WIP by Katie O' Brien, at The Glory

On the 2nd, I'm headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so haven't RSVPed to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Free, no registration required.

On the 3rd, London Literary Walks is taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green.

On the 4th, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well (not counting drinks!), it'll be a cheap week.

And on the 5th, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment