Wednesday 19 June 2019

Restaurant: El Inca Playebo

Last night, ironically, I had a ticket for Pericles, again at the Globe. That's not a comedy, which seems to be the only thing they can decently perform, these days.. and indeed, Monday's organiser said he'd seen it, and was highly unimpressed. I booked it before I saw Henry IV Part 1 - and was happy to miss it. (Poured rain, anyway.) Instead, I headed for a meal. Now, Let's Do This was my go-to group for meals, but one of the organisers has branched out and formed a new group - Civilised London. So I headed to eat with them! This time, it was Ecuadorian - we were headed to the Myddleton Arms for a drink, from which we'd make our way to El Inca Pleyebo. Promised be interesting!

What is it with this rain? You'd think it's had enough of showing itself by now. Anyway, it was a bit far to walk, so I didn't - Google Maps suggested I walk further than I needed to for the bus, so I ignored them and trotted off to the stop before that, which is closer to me. Fully three No. 8s arrived as I did - which was all right, as that wasn't what I wanted. But I was to be glad I got on my bus when I did - it got so crammed later on that it was difficult to get off..

And so to the pub, distinguishable by the symbol of a hand:


I moseyed on in and spotted them pretty quickly - I was the last to arrive, of those of us who started at the pub. I was fortunate enough to arrive just as someone was getting a round in! which was quick - I wasn't that late, some must have arrived early. Anyway, I was very pleased to be paid for - thanks, sir! An interesting house white it was, too.

After a convivial chat - with much hiking talk, as they're all into that - we headed the short distance to the restaurant, where we met our remaining companion, and were shown to a table at the back. Intriguing decor:






Steep stairs lead to the loos - I didn't venture up. It's a lovely, cosy place - service is friendly, a poncho was magicked up when someone said she was cold, and indeed, stripy ponchos and curious sombreros were obligatory for a group photo at the end! Dearie me.. the food took quite a while to arrive, but given that we were seated beside the kitchen, which is in plain view from the restaurant, we could see that the poor chef was dealing with it all on her own - apparently, they were down one.

The others had red wine, I was the only one on white - and joy, they do carafes! Such a civilised measure. And a very nice wine. The waiters were on hand, and happy to explain whatever needed explaining from the menu - although they refused to give too many details of the ingredients. I didn't fancy a starter, but the others reported back on the tastiness - and spiciness - of theirs. Sure enough, the mushroom I nabbed from someone else's dish had a very spicy sauce.

Mains, although they took a long time to arrive, were much lauded, too - two of us had chicken, one had a fish stew, there was pork, there was a risotto. We covered a good portion of the menu, and nobody had anything but good to say; indeed, we remarked on how, although the dishes look on the small side, they are very filling. Fiddly little bones on the chicken, is all I might say - but it tasted delicious. The rice I ordered as a side was particularly unusual - although steamed, it seemed to have been cooked in butter, and had a lovely flavour. For dessert, one had the quinoa pudding! which she loved - but then, she likes quinoa. And we ordered chocolate fondants - with 80% cocoa content, I seemed to be the only one that could manage a whole portion.

A lovely place to eat - although to be avoided if you really can't handle spice, which is unavoidable at some level here. And with good company, we did have a great evening. Kudos to our organiser, who stumped up for the wine as well - as a treat. And remains an important source of eatery information for me.

Tonight, Up in the Cheap Seats enticed me with an invitation to go see The Damned, by the Comédie Francaise, at the Barbican. (Surtitles provided.) Nice and close - midway between work and home, as it happens. And wouldn't you know it, they rang me yesterday to let me know that my restricted view seat is even more restricted than they thought - so I'm to swing by the box office tonight, where they'll give me a restricted view ticket that's less restricted. Nice of them.

And on Thursday, I've booked with Spooky London for another pub night - this time it's in The Flask. However, it seems that our monthly games night is that night - I've cancelled my RSVP with Spooky London. We shall see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment