Wednesday 26 June 2019

Birmingham Royal Ballet - Unleashed

Last night, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a performance at Sadler's Wells by the Birmingham Royal Ballet. We'd been promised rain, which didn't really materialise - so I walked. Mind you, it was a long walk.. but interesting, passing through Cloth Fair, past St. Bart's Church, through Smithfield.. unfortunately, what with roadworks making me take a diversion, and one junction with several exits, from which I took the wrong road not once, but twice - I arrived later than intended. After I'd trekked up all those stairs, I was looking forward to a sit down, and headed straight in. I hadn't seen the group on my way, but must have passed them, because they came in right after me.



Well, the Second Circle was half empty - we mused on whether that was because of the lovely weather, people not feeling like sitting indoors. Anyway, once the usher figured that most people had come that were going to, she confirmed that we could move down if we wanted. We didn't need telling twice - moved down from Row M to Row D, and from the £15 seats to the £20 seats. Nice.



The show consists of three performances, an interval between each two. The first is a series of lovely, light, graceful pieces - appropriate to the belatedly summery weather - with a backdrop of inventively styled, slinky-type props, apparently conformable into an infinite number of shapes. As one remarked afterwards, who ever knew there were so many uses for black crepe paper!



At the interval, the sparse crowds made it easy to get to the bar, for once. Many went for ice cream though - I might have too, but I'm out of cash again. The second show takes place around a kind of wall of suitcases.. some speculate that it might be about the Berlin Wall, but mainly it confused us. Apparently, it's concerned with our modern slavery to time, and our obsession with gadgetry - i.e. mobile phones. Not so confusing is the last piece, which is Peter and the Wolf - and narrated! A good one for children, this.

With two final performances today, this is an enjoyable show. And I headed for the bus home - with several options, I just took the first that arrived. What a lovely breeze I caught through the open window..


 

Today, Helen and her husband are joining me for lunch, as they're going on a guided walk that finishes near the office. We considered Byron Burger, but they were completely booked till 2pm - instead, we're headed to Pizza Express, which is more off the beaten track. This evening - not with UITCS!! Instead, I'm back with London Literary Walks - this is The Third Westminster Walk, and on past experience, should be fascinating.

Tomorrow - yes of course, back with UITCS.. for On Your Feet at the Coliseum: the musical about Emilio and Gloria Estefan. A couple of people from last Monday going. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

..and then we're into next month! On Monday, nothing much I fancy on Meetup - instead, I got a cheap ticket to some quite local comedy - Catch 22 Years is a WIP by Katie O' Brien, at The Glory

On Tuesday, I'm headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so haven't RSVPed to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Free, no registration required.

Next Wednesday, London Literary Walks is taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green.

On the 4th, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well (not counting drinks!), it'll be a cheap week.

On the 5th, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're going.

On the 6th, the Globe was just in touch - that day only, there's a musical performance, evoking the story of King Lear, in the Wanamaker Playhouse. Had a look at the trailer, liked what I saw - and booked it: the matinee, for better availability.

On the 7th, heading with North London Friends to Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras - part of Sadler's Wells' Flamenco Festival. So I'll get that dancing that I'll miss on the 5th! The lady hosting is going with some people from her Spanish class, and heading for tapas after - hell, why not? Even if I don't join them, I'll love the show.

And on the 8th, back with UITCS at last, for Peter Gynt at the National. Modern version.

No comments:

Post a Comment