Friday 7 June 2019

Pub: The Anchor Tap

Last night, I was back for a pub night with Spooky London - we were at The Anchor Tap. My cold was annoying, but I managed to drag myself out - albeit a bit late. But that was because of work pressures. I considered taking the Tube, but it would only have been slightly faster than the bus, so I stuck to that instead. My bus - when it arrived - was unusual in two respects; it had more standing/luggage/wheelchair/buggy space than seats, and it had a nice display of the sort I've only seen abroad, an electronic display showing the route map and scrolling along to show where we were on it. A diversion was advertised, but all that meant was that it doesn't currently go via Cannon Street, which is closed for roadworks. Which is already mapped on Google Maps, so that was fine.

I alighted at London Bridge, and got to walk along the river. Oh, I do love this part of town: and for the first time, I got to see Tower Bridge opening!



Lovely sunny day for a walk too, albeit cold. It wasn't hard to find The Anchor Tap, nestled in the shadow of Tower Bridge. (The ghostly connection is, apparently, a poltergeist called Charlie, who breaks ashtrays behind the bar. We wondered whether he was anti-smoking.) And our group leader had helpfully posted that they were in the lounge, at the back. Well wouldn't you know it, that's a separate room - nice and snug - with a sign over the door that says "Lounge". So that was ok then. I wasn't even the last to arrive. An interesting chat, which moved from spooky subjects to drugs, and on to points weird - some of us stayed till closing. And was I tired after (and had drunk a bit too much) - so much for making another run to the old flat!



Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Education, Education, Education at Trafalgar Studios. Set in a school in the 90s, it looks like great fun. And just yesterday, ShowFilmFirst advertised an offer on it, damnit! All tickets £20 for shows up to the 22nd. Ah well.. Never mind I used a Seatplan Theatre Token as part payment, so got it a bit cheaper. With my cold having moved from my head to my throat - and threatening my chest - I hope I don't get a troublesome cough! Still, doesn't sound like a quiet show.

No comments:

Post a Comment