Saturday 22 June 2019

Plays: Radio & The Glass Menagerie

This is going to be a busy week with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS). To celebrate the final end of my flat moving, I had a full day planned today with UITCS in the Arcola - Radio, followed by The Glass Menagerie. We planned to grab a bite to eat in between, but didn't decide where in advance.

After writing my last post, it was time to head straight to the theatre. Mind you, it took a while for the bus to come - meanwhile, I somewhat amused myself by watching someone do something unspecified at a height:


 

Rather him than me! Anyway, Google Maps was doing strange things with its journey planning - although it recognised that I wanted to get there in the afternoon, it was having me start out at night! So it predicted a much shorter travel time than I actually had, on a very crowded bus. I made it on time, but without much time to spare - and when the guy at the box office asked for my postcode, I had a sudden memory freeze! He gave me a hint - "East", which gave it to me.

Radio is in the downstairs studio, and I had a front-row seat on the end, right on the opposite side from the entrance. Which made it terribly inconvenient when my cough reared its ugly head again - honestly, it's not going to clear until the weather warms up some: which, at least, it's showing signs of. Mercifully, I had chewy sweets on my person - otherwise, I'd have had to leave, and I'm not sure how I'd have managed that, as I'd have had to walk right across the stage - in the middle of this 85-minute show without interval. Ugh. It was a one-man show, and the actor actually gave me a sympathetic smile on the way out.

This is the story of a man born in the dead centre of America in 1950 - or what was, at the time, prior to the acquisition of the last two states. And when you think about it, what a time to live through - the prosperity of the 50s, dynamic events of the 60s - culminating in the moon landing, whose imagery permeates most of the content of this story. Kennedy's assassination, the Vietnam War, the loss of interest in the space program.. they're all here. As told through the eyes of this man, who grew up learning pretty much everything from the radio - hence the name of the play.

It's terrific. Beautifully and wittily written, beautifully and charismatically performed, it was a joy to watch from start to finish. The only props necessary were a chair for him to sit on, when he needed to, a cassette player to play music and radio broadcasts relevant to the context, and a couple of jackets. And as he ranges around the stage, he perfectly evokes the spirit of the time. I enjoyed it a lot more than I'd thought I would - well, until the cough started, at least. Highly recommended.

Afterwards, two of us, who'd booked for The Glass Menagerie later, headed just around the corner, to the Dalston Eastern Curve Garden - a surprisingly green resource in the midst of the steel and concrete. They weren't doing food, but we had a nice stroll..








And although there are tables and chairs, these were all occupied too. Instead, we headed to The Speakeasy, again just a short step away, where they'd opened the wall for diners, what with the lovely weather. And where they do food! So there we stayed, and were joined by a third in due course. Happy Hour - which runs for seven hours on Saturday - means a discount on cocktails if you buy two - but they have to be two of the same. So we ended up with margaritas.. a few rounds of them! Dinner was pasta - we had prawn spaghetti (somewhat oily base, I believe) and chicken and tomato penne. And both plates were cleared. Delish.. our latecomer had a lighter bite, with wine.


And I was well positioned to watch the ever-changing hologram over the bar:


And so - with some reluctance, as the margaritas were very tasty - we returned to the theatre, and were shortly seated for the second play of the day. I love Tennessee Williams anyway, so this was an easy sell for me. And I was glad to be further from the stage - just in case of emergency coughing..


That rail was a bit obtrusive, but not much so. An ornate stage, this: especially in comparison with the last. The story - based on the writer's own family life - concerns a character obviously modelled on himself, trapped in a factory job he hates, dreaming of writing. His mother is desperate to improve their social standing, nostalgic for the higher living standards of previous years - she now lives vicariously through her children. And his sister is a shy mouse, too scared to interact with the outside word, obsessed with her glass animals, which give the play its name.

It's well acted - the sister is a painful character to watch, gingerly feeling her way through social situations that she can't avoid. The mother is a frightful nag, always niggling at her children, and shrilly giggling as she describes how popular she used to be. The writer is duly irritated and desperate for escape, as - towards the end of the play - his mother's one chance of happiness shatters, just like his sister's glass menagerie. A fine ending shows William's skill, as he makes an epic drama out of - well, not very much plot at all. Recommended - although honestly, I thought Radio the better of the two. Both shows run till the 13th.

Afterwards, just one other of the group fancied a drink - and she knew of a nice wine bar down the road, so off we headed there. Acqua7 was closed the last time we darkened its doors, but was open tonight, and we took a table and ordered just the one glass each. 175ml - the next size up is a carafe, and even I didn't think I could manage that, after three margaritas earlier! But it was lovely, and a lovely evening in general - great to see everyone.

On the way home, I'd just missed a bus - the one I eventually boarded had a couple of American-sounding people get on later; they looked like father and son. They'd obviously been visiting people who lived locally, who paid their bus fare and instructed them to get off when it said "Liverpool Street Station". They peered outside as we made our way through Haggerston, Hoxton, Shoreditch.. what with the crowds on the street, constantly dodging traffic, the buzzing night spots, and the skimpy clothes, I had to wonder what they made of this bacchanalian sight..

Tomorrow, back with UITCS for 549: Scots of the Spanish Civil War, at the New Diorama Theatre. Haven 't been there before. And boy, am I glad it's an evening performance, exhausted as I am.

On Monday, Helen and her husband were supposed be in town, but can't make it now. Never mind, when I checked, UITCS had posted a new event; Wife is on in the Kiln (which used to be the Tricycle), and - possibly just for that day - all tickets bought by tomorrow are £10! So I'm joining them for that - we are, of course, picking top price seats, and taking up pretty much the whole of the front row of the Circle.

On Tuesday, back with UITCS for a performance at Sadler's Wells by the Birmingham Royal Ballet.

On Wednesday - not with UITCS!! Instead, I'm back with London Literary Walks - this is The Third Westminster Walk, and on past experience, should be fascinating.

On Thursday - yes of course, back with UITCS.. for On Your Feet at the Coliseum: the musical about Emilio and Gloria Estefan. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

..and then we're into next month! On the 1st, nothing much on Meetup - instead, I got a cheap ticket to some quite local comedy - Catch 22 Years is a WIP by Katie O' Brien, at The Glory

On the 2nd, I'm headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so haven't RSVPed to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Free, no registration required.

On the 3rd, London Literary Walks is taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green.

On the 4th, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well (not counting drinks!), it'll be a cheap week.

And on the 5th, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment