Wednesday 12 June 2019

Walk by a Canal

Tonight, back with London Literary Walks. He had to change his original plan - seems the pub we were to meet in is closed for refitting, and with no good alternatives, he had to come up with another walk at the last minute. So we ended up doing a Walk by a Canal. At least the weather seemed to be drying a bit - last night was lovely and dry, as today dawned as well.

And then.. in the late afternoon.. it started to chuck it down again. Drat. Well, I said I'd head along anyway. We were to meet in the Plaquemine Lock, and I could have walked there from the office - but in that rain, I said I'd take a bus. Unfortunately, they seemed few and far between, and I got fairly wet just waiting for one.. I got off at Angel for a short walk to the pub. And could not credit how completely peaceful it was! Who could imagine themselves to be just a couple of streets away from the din of Angel..

I turned out to be the first to arrive - apart from our guide. Who'd forgotten his phone - which I don't think is a smartphone anyway - and had no idea who was coming! I was delighted to enlighten him to the fact that we were expecting four more - although in the end, only two more brave souls dared to drown in the weather.

We admired the pub, a jazz venue - in fact, a duo was playing in the far corner. The place has a very New Orleans vibe..




When the time came, we gave up on the others and ventured out. Now, it was - certainly for the beginning of the walk - very wet: but I wouldn't have missed this for the world. It's an absolutely gorgeous walk along Regent's Canal, even in inclement weather - just watch out for fast-moving cyclists, coming in both directions!






And for a walk that promised no history.. we ended up in Gainsborough Studios - just up the road, as it happens, from my last flat - where they work under a whopping statue of Hitchcock!


 

And so to our last stop - The Rosemary Branch theatre pub: which it turns out I've been to before! It was a couple of years ago, mind, and I was living elsewhere at the time - I'd forgotten. So we had a drink there, and some of their extensive selection of crisps. And then one walked home.. and the rest of us took the same bus, as it happens, as far as we needed to. A terrific evening, in excellent company - I'm very glad I came out. And I didn't really get that wet.

Tomorrow - you guessed it, it's looking like film. Hovering at the top of the list is one called Beats - the story of a couple of Glasgow lads in '94, staging an illegal rave. Trailer looks decent, so I'll give it a shot. Closest showing at a reasonable time is in the Castle Cinema - again, Google Maps has me doubling back on myself, so I'll probably amend their directions slightly. Not booking out yet, so I haven't booked either - I'll keep an eye on it, though. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, back with the London European Club - we're off to the Globe, for Twelfth Night! When I booked, the only tickets left were in the Middle Gallery, and now they're completely sold out. Hope it's not too cold, is all.

On Tuesday, headed for a meal. Now, Let's Do This has been my go-to group for meals, but one of the organisers has branched out and formed a new group - Civilised London. So I'm headed to eat with them! This time, it's Ecuadorian - we're headed to the Myddleton Arms for a drink, from which we'll make our way to El Inca Pleyebo. Should be interesting!

Next Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats enticed me with an invitation to go see The Damned, by the Comédie Francaise, at the Barbican. (Surtitles provided.)

And on Thursday of next week, I've booked with Spooky London for another pub night - this time it's in The Flask. However, our monthly office curry night might be that night - watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment