Sunday 23 June 2019

Play - 549: Scots of the Spanish Civil War

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for 549: Scots of the Spanish Civil War, at the New Diorama Theatre. And boy, was I glad it was an evening performance. So, I had a relaxing day - what a novelty, not to have to schedule a flat run or two. Headed out in decent time. And it's a good job that Helen messaged me just as my stop was coming up - it woke me up just in time! That bottle of wine I had over the course of the afternoon had a most relaxing effect..

Now, this is another place that I thought I hadn't been to - but I had! Once, over four years ago. Really, I had no memory of it at all. So I was surprised when Google Maps told me I had to keep walking, but I could see the entrance right in front of me. Mind you, Google Maps does always seem to favour the back door. Anyway, in I went and got a "recyclable", laminated ticket. They have a scannable exhibit about Scottish involvement in the Spanish Civil War by the till:



I could see the organiser in the cafe, so went and joined her. That was us, then - one other couldn't make it, and the last never made himself known. Anyway, we had a nice chat before we went in. Seating is unreserved, and as we were among the last, we just took the last two seats together, at the top of the steps, at the back. The theatre isn't huge anyway, there are no bad seats. It was pretty full.

My cough reared its ugly head, but I mostly sat on it with the sweets I'd taken the precaution of buying earlier. The play - about 90 minutes long, no interval - started in a Scottish pub, where some millennials were whinging, as usual. Lo, an elderly man appeared - immediately following a temporary blackout - and left his suitcase behind. The barmaid examined it, discovering documents relating to the Spanish Civil War. And so we were introduced to four locals, young lads back in 1936, who decided - for various reasons - to head further from home than they'd ever been before, to fight the fascists. True story.

It's interesting how the modern-day lads were compared to those who went off to fight - they went offstage briefly and came back dressed as their 1936 alter-egos. And after a stirring bout of singing, they used chairs and stools from the bar to simulate the Pyrenees that they had to cross on foot to join the International Brigade. Some interesting simulated fighting followed, before we learned their final destinies.

There were some laughs, but ultimately it failed to move me much. Which is a pity, as it is an interesting story. I think the organiser put it best when she said it was "well-intentioned". Although I think that the one lasting result of this experiment - that one of them runs for election for the Labour Party - has dubious merit, under the standards that that party currently holds. As for the standing ovation they got from most of the crowd? My companion turned to me and remarked that she thought they had a lot of family there. Or friends, perhaps - fellow drama students, maybe? Anyway, at least it was over nice and early. This was the last performance of a show that only ran for two nights.

Tomorrow, Helen and her husband were supposed be in town, but can't make it now. Never mind, when I checked, UITCS had posted a new event; Wife is on in the Kiln (which used to be the Tricycle), and - possibly just for that day - all tickets bought by today are £10! So I'm joining them for that - we, of course, picked top price seats, and taking up pretty much the whole of the front row of the Circle.

On Tuesday, back with UITCS for a performance at Sadler's Wells by the Birmingham Royal Ballet.

On Wednesday, Helen and her husband are joining me for lunch, as they're going on a guided walk that finishes near the office. We considered Byron Burger, but they were completely booked till 2pm - instead, we're headed to Pizza Express, which is more off the beaten track. That evening - not with UITCS!! Instead, I'm back with London Literary Walks - this is The Third Westminster Walk, and on past experience, should be fascinating.

On Thursday - yes of course, back with UITCS.. for On Your Feet at the Coliseum: the musical about Emilio and Gloria Estefan. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

..and then we're into next month! On the 1st, nothing much on Meetup - instead, I got a cheap ticket to some quite local comedy - Catch 22 Years is a WIP by Katie O' Brien, at The Glory

On the 2nd, I'm headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so haven't RSVPed to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Free, no registration required.

On the 3rd, London Literary Walks is taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green.

On the 4th, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well (not counting drinks!), it'll be a cheap week.

And on the 5th, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment