Monday 1 July 2019

Comedy: Catch 22 Years

Tonight, nothing much I fancied on Meetup - instead, I got a cheap ticket to some quite local comedy; Catch 22 Years was a WIP by Katie O' Brien, at The Glory. As it happened, I had a tummy problem during the day, had to go home early - a short nap sorted it right out, and I was fit as a fiddle for the show. The journey is more direct from home, too!

A short walk to the bus stop - I saw two of the one I wanted pass as I approached, and jeez, if every other bus under the sun didn't come while I was waiting. When my bus did finally arrive, it was horribly crowded - all available space taken, people squashed wherever they could get a spot, a woman with a walking aid fighting for space with a buggy. No aircon, of course, on these sweltering Routemasters. What a relief it was to squeeze my way off.

It's a colourful area, this:


..not least inside the pub! (Yes, it's a gay bar, and I guess they were celebrating Pride recently.)







Had a couple of quite decent house whites while I was waiting - now, they have cocktail glasses and flutes, but regular wine glasses are not in evidence - I was given a tumbler, and - not paying attention - as I took a sip, spilled a great dribble of wine down myself. Just as well I drink white. Oh, and this is rather a practical way of distinguishing the toilets:


I'd thought that stage at the end of the bar might be the show location - nope, it's downstairs, the door is opened when they're ready. Downstairs is quite intimate - and there was Katie, taking names and greeting us all, in an apparent state of extreme intoxication. The show itself took us from her sloshed teenage years to her, it seems, much more sober 20s.

Good luck trying to avoid interaction - her show seemed to be all about that, and almost every single person had to do something. The easiest task of the evening probably fell to the guy asked to hop into the onstage bed, where he spent the show - all he had to do was snuggle up beside her near the end. One guy had to go collect bevvies from the off-licence, several of us had to reveal personal stuff - into the mic. So, a nightmare for many. However, I did think it worked - just about - and ended up being mostly endearing. Not exactly hilarious, mind. One night only - and at least I was glad to finish early! The bus home was much less crowded, of course.

Tomorrow, I'm headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so haven't RSVPed to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Mind you, I see that the organiser of that group is planning to meet people a bit later. Free, no registration required.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks is taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green.

On Thursday, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well (not counting drinks!), it'll have been a cheap week.

On Friday, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're going.

On Saturday, the Globe was just in touch the other day - for that day only, there's a musical performance, evoking the story of King Lear, in the Wanamaker Playhouse. Had a look at the trailer, liked what I saw - and booked it: the matinee, for better availability.

On Sunday, heading with North London Friends to Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras - part of Sadler's WellsFlamenco Festival. So I'll get that dancing that I'll miss on the 5th! The lady hosting is going with some people from her Spanish class, and heading for tapas after - hell, why not? Even if I don't join them, I'll love the show.

And next Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at last, for Peter Gynt at the National. Modern version.

No comments:

Post a Comment