Friday 19 July 2019

Hidden Horrors Haunted History Ghost Walk

Today, Helen was in town again for training - and we decided to go on the Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Which I was on before, but was happy to go on again - it's good (as I could see from the review I left), and I could always do with reminding. I was curious to see how much I'd forgotten.. It's also Funzing, and I got a 15% discount with the code Fun15, which can only be used once. Advertised by Best Authentic Walking Tours in London - so Funzing does still have a Meetup group for walks.. Don't believe what they say about "no refunds" though, the Funzing rule of a full refund up to 48 hours beforehand still applies. And handily, it's only a hop, skip, and jump from my new office!

For speed, we went for Nando's again - it's close, and quick. Although mine took a lot longer than hers to arrive - interestingly, everything I had came out slightly overcooked. The chicken, again, was too tough to finish, the garlic bread hard. The mash was slightly charred, but ok. I've definitely had better Nando's than in One New Change. And we didn't really have time for dessert, this time - the walk was starting quite early.

Happily, as I say, it was close by - and what a day for it to pick to start raining! This was the wettest day I've seen in an age - it fairly pelted down as we were waiting to start, all clustered close to the wall for shelter as our intrepid leader stood out in the middle of it, rain pouring from his wide-brimmed hat. Anyway, as each person checked in and was checked off, they got a leaflet - for his other website about haunted Britain and Ireland! This is a busy guy. And successful - I counted 32 people on tonight's walk! It's a good job his voice projects.

I did remember a lot of the walk, but was grateful for the reminders. For instance, I knew there is supposed to be a ghost in the Viaduct Tavern, but had forgotten what they called him (Fred), until a medium contacted him and ascertained that he was actually called something else (he's Scottish, and named Robert). And I'll always enjoy the story of Scratching Fanny of Cock Lane.. ;-)


As we passed Smithfield, I mused how sad it is that the market is to be moved, and flats erected on the old site. Possibly the main thing I'd forgotten from my first outing was that the wonderful, Tudor gatehouse of St. Bartholomew the Great used to be clad in brick, and it was only when it was hit by shrapnel from a WWI zeppelin that they discovered the older structure underneath! Every cloud, you might say..


I noted that he changed the final location, to a different section of the Roman wall - probably because the ground would be too muddy, where we had been before. All in all, it was every bit as entertaining as I remember, with a theatrical guide who loves to put on a show, as well as giving us a bit of history. And I love how he encourages questions, and is never short of answers. One of the most entertaining ghost walks in London - highly recommended. And great to see Helen, BTW!

Tomorrow, I was thinking of a film. However, I wasn't mad about what was coming out on top - and since Meetup had an alternative, I'm doing that instead. Headed with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) (again) to the matinée of Sweat, at the Gielgud Theatre. It's the very last day - and lots of sites have half price offers on decent seats. I chose the one suggested on Meetup - lastminute - and since they've widened their half price offer, I scored myself an excellent price for a seat in the rear stalls.

On Sunday, I really was going to go to a film - until my cheap ticket club advertised their weekend offerings, just today. Thinking I saw some interesting options, I looked closer - and was immediately captured by a classical Spanish guitar concert in King's Place! Part of the IGF Guitar Summit. So yeah, I booked that without hesitation! Terrific price, too.

On Monday, more music - I'm back with Civilised London for more jazz - Dai and the Ramblers - at Wilton's. A great atmosphere is guaranteed!

On Tuesday.. well, my cheap ticket club came to the rescue again! I'm off to St. Martin in the Fields - for the first time in a while - for a performance of the Goldberg Variations. (Cheap!) Three - very different - musical evenings in a row.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks for The Richmond Walk. Third West London walk in a row with him - but I'm not complaining, they're lovely settings.

On Thursday, back with the London European Club - it'll be my first time in St. Mary's Church Rotherhithe, where the Little Symphonic Duet is performing. They aim to reproduce famous classical pieces, with only a guitar and an instrument called a charango, a kind of miniature ukulele. It'll also be my first time in an age with Tuned In London - delighted to be with them again! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 29th, back with UITCS - we're off to see Present Laughter, by Noel Coward, with the wonderful Andrew Scott, at the Old Vic. It'll be interesting for us all to see how he is in a comedy.

And on the 30th, I'm back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group, who are off to a free Motown concert in Canary Wharf. First come, first served for spots on the grass. Unless it's promised to rain, in which case I'll probably cry off..

No comments:

Post a Comment