Thursday 4 July 2019

Walk: Strand on the Green

On Tuesday, I was supposed to be headed to a Summer Science Exhibition Late at the Royal Society - adults only. London European Club (LEC) organised an outing - then London Science Events did, too. I decided I'd rather go with the LEC, so didn't RSVP to London Science Events - they'd only be looking for me if I did. Mind you, the organiser of that group was planning to meet people a bit later. Free, no registration required.

Well, work got chaotic, and I realised I'd not be able to concentrate on the event for thinking about what I had to do - and it's one of those that requires concentration. So I passed, cancelled my RSVP. Just as well really - someone posted afterwards, on the London Science Events page, that he'd spent an hour trying to get in, for the crowds; this can be a problem there, indeed. I wouldn't have appreciated it, frazzled as I am this week. Well, it runs till Sunday if you're interested - but that was the only adults-only night.

Last night, London Literary Walks was taking us all the way out west - for Strand on the Green. This one, I didn't want to miss - Chiswick is a leafy and relatively peaceful retreat, which I really needed. So I was delighted when yesterday evening's discussions fizzled out, owing to the fact that someone important had gone home - I legged it while I had the chance! The District Line promised to get me there in just under an hour - in the event, it was a bit over, but a really pleasant trip - airy, spacious carriages, and I was on early enough to get a seat, where I read the whole of the paper I'd grabbed on the way in. A reasonable walk to The Express Tavern, where we were to meet - and they were in the beer garden out back, listening to the sound of the Beatles on vinyl in glorious sunshine. Lovely..


We lost a few members actually, who decided that they'd rather stay where they were, it was so pleasant: and who can blame them? But those of us who walked on also had a pleasant time.. we saw some curious things along the way, including measures taken to avoid being flooded! (well, why not enter by the window..)


All in all, it was just a lovely, riverside stroll - we stopped at the City Barge Pub, featured in Help by the Beatles, for a drink, then the Bull's Head for some tasty chips, finishing at Chiswick Station, where we headed back on the first train we could get - after a long wait, as the one we should have got was cancelled! But what a lovely, relaxed evening - thanks Stephen! Of course, it was too late to blog.


Tonight, back with Spooky London - this time, we're off to the Rising Sun. (No intention of missing this, either.) A fascinating part of town, with a ton of history - I've been there a lot, but never been in the actual pub. And with these two events being free as well (not counting drinks!), it'll have been a cheap week.

Tomorrow, Helen's in town for a training course. The LEC is taking a group to a flamenco (music only, no dance) concert at Rich Mix, and we're going. Mind you, our diligent organiser noticed that the show is actually starting half an hour later than the advertised time - hopefully, Helen won't have to leave early for a train!

On Saturday, the Globe was just in touch last week - for that day only, there's a musical performance, evoking the story of King Lear, in the Wanamaker Playhouse. Had a look at the trailer, liked what I saw - and booked it: the matinee, for better availability.

On Sunday, heading with North London Friends to Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras - part of Sadler's WellsFlamenco Festival. So I'll get that dancing that I'll miss tomorrow! The lady hosting is going with some people from her Spanish class, and heading for tapas after - hell, why not? Even if I don't join them, I'll love the show.

And on Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at last, for Peter Gynt at the National. Modern version.

No comments:

Post a Comment