Thursday 18 July 2019

Pub: The Queen's Head and Artichoke

Tonight, our overdue social from the company I was last with - this month, we were off to the Queen's Head and Artichoke, for dinner and drinks. Again, I left in pretty decent time - had a moment of confusion as I waited to change buses, when I was hailed by someone from Meetup! It did take me a minute to register that no, he wasn't coming with me this evening.. well, when you normally only see someone in the context of going to a show together..!

I arrived at the pub just slightly late, to find most of the small group we had this evening sitting outside, sunning themselves. But by that stage, it was time to go in - so we did. Our table was booked to the rear of the bar, which is mostly taken up with dining - we had fewer than we'd speculatively booked for, what with all those people who persist in saying they might show up, then never respond again. Nor appear on the day. Hey-ho, we had a good time with the five we had!

We decided - wisely, I think - to stick to the small plates, which work as tapas. Everyone orders what they want, everyone shares what they want.. you can eat as much or as little as you like. And truly, what we ordered was delicious - we had a wide selection. The bread arrived first, lovely and warm, accompanied by dips. In due course, there was a smorgasbord.. ham croquettes, flatbreads spread with spiced, minced lamb, two portions of moreish patatas bravas.. we all ate our fill.

Three of us shared wine, which was also very tasty - and quickly replenished, as required. Only one went for dessert - and it wasn't me! But in due course, we stopped ordering, and the staff started to encourage us out. Gently. Hey-ho, we all have things to do tomorrow.. and it was great to see people again. And hear the news. And handily enough, a single bus got me home! Most convenient, you know, living near Liverpool Street..

Tomorrow, Helen is in town again for training - and we're off on the Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Which I was on before, but wouldn't mind going on again - it's good (as I can see from the review I left), and I could do with reminding, after all. Let's see how much I've forgotten.. It's also Funzing, and I got a 15% discount with the code Fun15, which can only be used once. Advertised by Best Authentic Walking Tours in London - so Funzing does still have a Meetup group for walks.. Don't believe what they say about "no refunds" though, the Funzing rule of a full refund up to 48 hours beforehand still applies. And handily, it's only a hop, skip, and jump from my new office!

And on Saturday, I was thinking of a film. However, I wasn't mad about what was coming out on top - and since Meetup had an alternative, I'm doing that instead. Headed with Up in the Cheap Seats (again) to the matinée of Sweat, at the Gielgud Theatre. It's the very last day - and lots of sites have half price offers on decent seats. I chose the one suggested on Meetup - lastminute - and since they've widened their half price offer, I scored myself an excellent price for a seat in the rear stalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment