Tuesday 9 July 2019

Talk: The Psychology of the Extreme

Tonight, I had nothing booked - until Funzing sent a promotional email yesterday, and I booked a talk that sounded interesting. The Psychology of the Extreme was also on decently close. I'd used such codes as I had, so didn't get a discount - but I've booked enough upcoming to have earned one on the next booking. They don't seem to have a Meetup group dedicated to Funzing talks anymore, so it's a while since I've been to one.

I actually left in time to walk to it, for once! and it's nice how Shoreditch is still walking distance from the office. I actually passed close to where I live, on the way - arrived at BBB with a few minutes to spare, and followed the helpful signs upstairs. I remember being late, the last time I was here - not this time, and I dutifully took my seat and waited. Well, trust Funzing to pick awful venues - just like before (and like most Funzing talks I've attended), the talk was accompanied throughout - and sometimes nearly muffled - by the thumping music from downstairs. Oh, and whereas it was winter when I was here before - this evening was particularly clammy, and the "loft" where we were was boiling. Even after they found a window to open, it was uncomfortably hot, Typical lack of organisation - a fan would've worked wonders. I guess they didn't have the budget.

A lack of organisation was also in evidence from the two presenters - for one thing, there was only one mic! I'm guessing they forgot to mention to Funzing that they'd like a second. The softer spoken man was given it, but hated using it, and kept trying to drop it and just speak a bit louder, to yells of protest from the back! so he was forced to keep using it. The younger chap was a bit more successful in raising his voice, and indeed did most of the talking.

They did warn us that this was their first outing - and it showed, with a narrative that meandered aimlessly. As someone remarked in the Q+A afterwards, it was hard to tell what the talk was going to be about, from the description - yes, it was hard to figure out where it was going while it was in progress, too! And for goodness' sake - the slides mainly showed artwork from a pal of the younger presenter: a sort of artist's interpretation of the subject matter. Oh dear.

As for the content, I don't believe I heard much I hadn't known. We were given a lengthy description of "extreme" experiences - defined by a number of characteristics, such as unpredictability, lack of control, a feeling of being in danger of death or of the loss of self, and so on. He made an interesting point about how stories - especially the traditional ones, with their gruesome endings - prepare us for these awful outcomes.

And then he asked for examples, and waffled for a while before succumbing to what he said the audience was obviously interested in, and starting to talk about drugs. And while a lot of talking was done about them, surprisingly little was actually said about them, apart from meaningful references to the fact that the older presenter had some more practical experience of this than the younger guy. Anyone who wanted practical information had to wait for snippets that came up in the Q+A, where ayahuasca and DMT were mentioned, but not elaborated on much. Reassuringly, the talk finished on a happy mention of a natural high that we (probably) get at the moment of death. Sounds lovely.

They need to go away and think this talk up again. They asked for reviews on Funzing so they could keep doing this, 'coz it's such fun! I think the kindest thing I could do is not to review it at all.. I left during the Q+A, where they kept forgetting to repeat the questions that we at the back couldn't hear, and the younger guy forgot to speak loudly, and I was hot.. and oh, what a relief to get out in the cool!

Tomorrow, I'm back with London Literary Walks, for a walk to - and around - Hogarth's grave.

On Thursday, back with North London Friends for Europe, at the Donmar Warehouse. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

The first three days of next week, back with Up in the Cheap Seats. On Monday and Wednesday, we're at LAMDA - Monday for The Ofsted Massacre.

Next Tuesday, we're at Trafalgar Studios - I'm finally going to see Equus, with its nudity and blinding of horses. Have to see what all the controversy is about!

On Wednesday of next week, the play is My Children! My Africa!

On Thursday of next week, our overdue social from the company I was last with - this month, we're off to the Queen's Head and Artichoke, for dinner and drinks.

And on Friday of next week, Helen is in town again for training - and we're off on the Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Which I was on before, but wouldn't mind going on again - it's good (as I can see from the review I left), and I could do with reminding, after all. Let's see how much I've forgotten.. It's also Funzing, and I got a 15% discount with the code Fun15, which can only be used once. Advertised by Best Authentic Walking Tours in London - so Funzing does still have a Meetup group for walks.. Don't believe what they say about "no refunds" though, the Funzing rule of a full refund up to 48 hours beforehand still applies.

No comments:

Post a Comment