Saturday 20 July 2019

Play: Sweat

Today, I was thinking of a film. However, I wasn't mad about what was coming out on top - and since Meetup had an alternative, I did that instead. Headed with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) (again) to the matinée of Sweat, at the Gielgud Theatre. It's the very last day - and lots of sites had half price offers on decent seats. I chose the one suggested on Meetup - lastminute - and since they'd widened their half price offer, I scored myself an excellent price for a seat in the rear stalls. Nice how they specify the seats now! I remember when you booked in a price band, and had to take pot luck after that.



I wasn't too late to bed, so was up and out in decent time, and took the #8 to the West End. It's funny how Google Maps never seems to recognise that there's a stop nearer to me than where they send me - ah well, at least I do, and waited there. Traffic was appalling, so I was a bit later to arrive than intended, and on what seemed an unusually busy day - even for a sunny Saturday! For one thing, Frith Street was blocked off for a street concert, in honour of Ronnie Scott's 60th anniversary!



Swerving around people the whole way, I threaded my way through backstreets to the theatre - and just as I approached the door, where they were checking bags, I realised I had wine gums in my bag! Just in time, I slipped them into my pocket - which, of course, wasn't searched. Got my ticket from the kiosk in the lobby, and joined the others, positioned in a decently out-of-the-way place in the middle.



A nice seat - good legroom, if space to the side was a bit snug. It was also nice that practically the whole row in front of us was free - this was the back row of the next price band up, you see! And while the overhang obscured the very top of the stage, we didn't miss anything relevant:



Sweat takes you right into the heart of small town America - starts at the very beginning of 2000, but I don't think much has changed since. The town's main industry is a steel mill, but almost all the action takes place in the local bar, where gossip is spread, fights are started, and people let their hair down. Tickertape and news broadcasts keep us apprised of what's happening on a national scale - what president is elected, and how there's trouble with the economy. We can all tell what's coming next.

It's no surprise at all when the workers are replaced with those who will do the job cheaper - what the play concerns itself with are the consequences for the different characters, and the differences in their reactions. And what a terrific bunch of characters they are - the play spends most of its time making sure we get to know them, and recognise them as just like us - or like people we know. They're real, they're fleshed out - there's the young and feckless one, the young one with ambition, just like his mother, his dad a strung-out loser. There's the one who regrets the lost ambition of her youth, and now drinks her life away - and there's the mouthy one, who always blames her misfortunes on someone else. Let's not forget the Colombian guy who works in the bar, and is practically ignored by all the customers! Finally, the bartender keeps the peace, a benign figure who tends to stay out of arguments.

The first half is mainly exposition - but I did love the easygoing script. At the interval, I was peckish, so had a box of Maltesers with my - rather watery, but well-priced - pinot grigio. And at the start of the second act, I was glad of those wine gums, when my cough flared up briefly. And gee, what a second act.. by now, the workers are out of a job, disillusioned - and things rapidly go from bad to worse, ending in an abrupt climax that shows just how bad the consequences can be when people let their prejudices get the better of them. A depressing reflection on today's reality.. and an interesting reflection of the people behind the headlines. I'd advise you to go see it, but the last performance is running as I write - keep an eye out for it though. Highly relevant theatre.

Afterwards, a pub had been mooted - but we had no plan of where to go. One member's suggestion might have been good, but was noisier than expected - at which point, everyone turned tail for home. We could have headed for Waxy O' Connor's, but by now there was no point, the group had scattered. Me, I was hungry, and the stage set had inspired me to go American - so I headed for Garfunkel's. Which was busy, but they found me a table - and to be fair, service was prompt. The food definitely wasn't up to their usual standards though - the main course was ok, but the garlic bread and chocolate fudge cake were absolutely tasteless! I could have saved myself some money by not ordering them, and I think I won't, if I go there again. I do see that you can now pay via the website, if you want a quick getaway.

Tomorrow, I really was going to go to a film - until my cheap ticket club advertised their weekend offerings, just yesterday. Thinking I saw some interesting options, I looked closer - and was immediately captured by a classical Spanish guitar concert in King's Place! Part of the IGF Guitar Summit. So yeah, I booked that without hesitation! Terrific price, too.

On Monday, more music - I'm back with Civilised London for more jazz - Dai and the Ramblers - at Wilton's. A great atmosphere is guaranteed!

On Tuesday.. well, my cheap ticket club came to the rescue again! I'm off to St. Martin in the Fields - for the first time in a while - for a performance of the Goldberg Variations. (Cheap!) Three - very different - musical evenings in a row. (And wouldn't you know it, ShowFilmFirst just advertised the same tickets even cheaper. Grr..)

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks for The Richmond Walk. Third West London walk in a row with him - but I'm not complaining, they're lovely settings.

On Thursday, back with the London European Club - it'll be my first time in St. Mary's Church Rotherhithe, where the Little Symphonic Duet is performing. They aim to reproduce famous classical pieces, with only a guitar and an instrument called a charango, a kind of miniature ukulele. It'll also be my first time in an age with Tuned In London - delighted to be with them again! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 29th, back with UITCS - we're off to see Present Laughter, by Noel Coward, with the wonderful Andrew Scott, at the Old Vic. It'll be interesting for us all to see how he is in a comedy. Rear stalls again, yay!

And on the 30th, I'm back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group, who are off to a free Motown concert in Canary Wharf. First come, first served for spots on the grass. Unless it's promised to rain, in which case I'll probably cry off..

No comments:

Post a Comment