Wednesday 17 July 2019

Play: My Children! My Africa!

Tonight, back for the third night in a row with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), for My Children! My Africa! in LAMDA. Handily, I knew where to go this time. And with my cough still niggling, I got some sweets before I go, to take with me. Handy they don't have a bag check!

Left in decent time - and this time, I was almost halfway there before I got a seat on the Tube! Still had the advantages of the aircon and lack of crowding, though. And, of course, having been here so recently, I didn't have to consult my map en route for directions. Got my ticket, and joined the others at the head of the queue at the auditorium door - unreserved seating, this time. When we went in, seating was at both sides of the stage, in three rows - we might have gone to the front, as usual, but the front row was practically on the floor! so we opted for the second.

The set took the form of a schoolroom, and we opened on a debate - chaired by a teacher, we had a white South African girl debating a black South African boy, in a township school. These were the only three actors we saw - the other schoolchildren were represented by recorded crowd noise, and other characters were only mentioned. The story followed these characters as they formed a bond, connected by their shared love of learning and literature - but would this be strong enough to survive the tensions that still exist between the townships and more affluent neighbourhoods?

Another fabulous outing to LAMDA - what a sensation they are! The writing is superb - although it dates back to the end of Apartheid, the story is as relevant today - and anyway, it's more to do with the people than the politics, and the story is pretty timeless; there's always a conflict somewhere that you can apply it to. Terrific acting from everyone involved gave life to completely believable, well-rounded characters - the driven teacher, who might be somewhat behind the times: the idealistic and enthusiastic white student, who can never really understand what it's like to grow up in those conditions: and the bright young township hopeful, torn between a bright future he doesn't quite believe, and the path of resistance favoured by his fellow students.

And for the whole evening, they had us in the palms of their hands. We got passionate performances from all concerned, the first half frequently hilarious - and a treat for literary buffs, as they gloried in cramming for an English literature quiz, so had to swot up on poetry, quotes, and the lives of the poets. The white schoolgirl's bright, enthusiastic face said it all, answered by the smiles of the teacher. The township boy.. was quieter.

At the interval, I had a medicinal glass of wine - I'd managed to sit on my cough in the first half, but there were a couple of sticky moments. And for all that they warned me that the wine wouldn't be exactly cold - yes, I saw him hurriedly fling the bottle in the fridge when he noticed it - it was actually one of the tastiest wines I've had in a while! Damn cheap, too. And as they serve you in plastic, you can take it in with you.

The second half was a lot darker, as the politics of the outside world intruded. What a change in mood.. still utterly gripping, for different reasons. As the arguments flew, points were eloquently made and positions defended. And the ending.. was moving enough that the house melted. Much sniffling was to be heard, and I believe someone was passing around tissues. Indeed, if the story wasn't enough to set you off, the tears flooding down the actress' face might have! Another well-deserved standing ovation. Sadly, I can't tell you to go see it - that was the last performance! Sold out, too. But again, if you ever get the chance to see any production of this, grab it.

On the way home, and alighting at Liverpool Street, would you believe, I ran into the same beggar I met on Sunday night! Only targets women, it seems. Telling the same story about having messed up her clothes, and the bulk of them having been stolen.. gotta say, for someone who'd messed herself, she looked fine to me! FYI, she always starts out by saying she's not drunk - keep an eye out for her. Soon as you tell her you can't help, she stalks off, grumbling about how not a single woman will help her..

Tomorrow, our overdue social from the company I was last with - this month, we're off to the Queen's Head and Artichoke, for dinner and drinks.

On Friday, Helen is in town again for training - and we're off on the Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Which I was on before, but wouldn't mind going on again - it's good (as I can see from the review I left), and I could do with reminding, after all. Let's see how much I've forgotten.. It's also Funzing, and I got a 15% discount with the code Fun15, which can only be used once. Advertised by Best Authentic Walking Tours in London - so Funzing does still have a Meetup group for walks.. Don't believe what they say about "no refunds" though, the Funzing rule of a full refund up to 48 hours beforehand still applies.

And on Saturday, I was thinking of a film - hence the delay with the blog, I was checking the film listings, which had just been released. However, I wasn't mad about what was coming out on top - and since Meetup had an alternative, I'm doing that instead. Headed with UITCS (again) to the matinée of Sweat, at the Gielgud Theatre. It's the very last day - and lots of sites have half price offers on decent seats. I chose the one suggested on Meetup - lastminute - and since they've widened their half price offer, I scored myself an excellent price for a seat in the rear stalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment