Tuesday 24 May 2022

Play: Henry VIII

Tonight, woo! back at Shakespeare's Globe - for Henry VIII, which I'd never seen. And it's years since I was last here.. and what a shame the weather report was bad. Never mind..

It lashed at lunchtime - just as I was headed out for food. Lovely. Thunder too, and cold.. I put something a bit warmer on when I got back. Deciding on food, I suddenly thought - why not Bill's? Not far from me, not far from the Globe - I could walk to both.. so that's what I did. Happily, the rain had stopped, it was lovely and sunny, and a bit warmer.

And it was an inspired choice! No need to book, I was seated without trouble. Service was quite quick, and I see they're dog-friendly! (Well, I heard as much, from a loud-mouthed canine at a nearby table.)

Wow, terrific food. I had calamari, which was delicious (Moo Cantina, take note) - and minute steak, which was like how it used to be like at Cote. And they were both off the set menu. The wine was lovely. I'd taken the precaution of checking the dessert menu as I was waiting for my order to be taken, so knew I wanted ice cream and could give her that order straight away. Excellent meal, I really should come here more often!

A short walk then to the Globe. From dodging rogue cyclists, north of the river, I went to avoiding gangs of joggers, south of the river.. was in good time, and queued for wine at one of the stalls. I see they offer 500ml portions of wine now! so I asked for white, was given a choice of pinot grigio, chardonnay, or sauvignon. I chose the latter. Turns out that the 500ml comes in a screwcap. plastic bottle.. she asked me how many glasses I wanted, and I told her "one!", and assured her I'd drink it slowly.. and as I turned away, struggling to get my card back in my wallet while holding the drink, I was assisted by an usher. V friendly here!

Had to laugh at the content advisory.. as usual..


Seriously - people need to be warned about blood and executions, in a play about Henry VIII? The gun, I grant you, is anachronistic - although they might have had muskets, but the one used in this play is modern.

Oh man, it was so, so good to be back here at last!


I was doing so much gawping that the usher you can see in the front of this picture came and asked me whether it was my first time! No, I told him, just my first time since lockdown.. Anyway, the large crosses and preponderance of gold on stage (ingots and gold backdrop) give an indication as to the themes of the play. Religion and money, hey? My, my.

Oh, and the quirkiness you'd expect from the Globe:


That is a seat for commentary (one of two).

This was the first evening since lockdown that I really recognised the London I love, the one that keeps reminding me why I stay here. Mind you, not everyone was so enamoured.. three middle-aged ladies took the seats beside me, and the one next to me wouldn't stop glaring at me! Now, I think at first she took exception to my bag and drink, which I'd left on the bench beside me. There is plenty of room, but I put them on the ground anyway. Didn't stop her, she just kept glaring - I can only assume that she wanted my seat! I was at the end of the row, you see, which is to the side of the stage - and the end has the best view. Mercifully, they all left at the interval - I guess it was their first (and last) visit, and they hadn't realised the sightlines would be restricted.

Interesting play. Henry himself is a bit too old, as played - this guy has grey hair and looks in his 60s, while the play runs from 1526 (he meets Anne Boleyn) to 1536 (Catherine of Aragon dies). So he'd have been aged between 35 and 45. But anyway. Catherine is beautifully played, trying to defend her position against a hostile English clergy, that declares for Henry, and pleading her cause with him, as he ignores her. Torn from her only daughter, she is a tragic figure. Anne, mind you, is very dubious about becoming the next Queen - and who could blame her? Wolsey is another one you feel sorry for - yes, he feathered his own nest: but we know several others such, and his precipitous downfall seems too harsh a punishment. The only one who really comes out of it well is the baby Elizabeth - born at the end of the play, her adult self comes on in magnificent garb in a kind of preview of what is to come. Runs till the 21st of October.

So, a lovely evening! Until, wouldn't you know it, as I came out, it was to the sight of yet another cycling hooligan terrorising a pedestrian. Bloody typical - I've said it before and I'll say it again, CYCLISTS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CENTRAL LONDON. They obey no laws, and there is no regulation of them. It's an utter disgrace.

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Bonnie and Clyde, at the Arts Theatre. Now, most of the group going booked this ages ago - I just booked recently. And I noticed that all the cheapest seats were bench seating, which didn't sound terribly comfortable. But for under £2 more, so £25, I managed to get a ticket in the next band up - in the rear stalls - from Todaytix! See, they have this great £25 ticket offer until Sunday. Whatever about the show, the offer is highly recommended!

On Thursday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - this time, we're at the Royal Festival Hall, where the Philharmonia is playing Mozart and Bruckner. Which makes this my best week for Meetup since lockdown, the only non-Meetup day being today! The last time I saw this organiser is even longer ago than I saw Didi, the organiser on Sunday! (She's a classical guitarist - I just found her page..)

And then back to Ireland for the weekend. The film for the weekend - is looking like Top Gun: Maverick! in which Tom Cruise reprises his fighter-pilot role of so many years ago. Also stars Jennifer ConnellyVal Kilmer back as Iceman, Ed Harris as the rear admiral. Now, that should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment