Sunday 1 May 2022

Film: The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Now back to Ireland for the weekend. Yes, almost every weekend last month - it just worked out that way. I'd normally have been in London last weekend you see, except for staying in Ireland to see my friend. And this trip was already booked when that was organised. Now, it's a long weekend, so I have an extra day here - can see two films! The Arc Cinema now being the cheapest around, I'm concentrating on that - there isn't anything special showing in Limerick anyway. Higher rated is The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, a comedy where the versatile Nicholas Cage plays a version of himself, sending up his iconic characters. I wasn't sure how many I'd recognise - I'm not the most dedicated follower of his work! Also stars Neil Patrick Harris as his agent, and Demi Moore. So, I saw that yesterday.

Someone I was speaking to wasn't keen on this, having already seen it - but frankly, I don't trust her judgement. Anyway, off I toddled, arriving as trailers were showing. A couple of other people were in the screen. In this, Nicholas Cage plays a version of himself, having something of a midlife crisis. He's in financial trouble too, so when his agent suggests a gig where he gets paid $1m just to show up at a birthday party, he reluctantly agrees. It's in Mallorca. However, it turns out to be a ruse - his host (Pedro Pascal) has written a screenplay and would love Nick Cage to act in it. And then there's a side story - there's a gangster connection, and a kidnapping that they all get caught up in..

So. I have to say, I had a marvellous time! I might not be a dedicated follower of Nicholas Cage, but I do enjoy watching him. And in this, you get two versions - a younger version of himself (digitally de-aged) keeps showing up, kind of as his conscience / ego, and they keep having arguments. His bonding with Pedro Pascal is the highlight of the film - Pedro is quite adorable to watch, with one of those baby faces, acting as the lovable fool. The story develops into a film-within-a-film idea, as they plan to do a screenplay together, discuss how it should be an adult, character-driven drama, and then agree to add a kidnapping for box office appeal. The kidnapping does feel tacked on - as Pedro remarks when it's first mooted. So hey, perhaps we have in this an explanation to why they did it. Anyway, it isn't ideal, but as I say, I did love the character-driven part of the film. Watch out for a totally unexpected cameo at the end by Demi Moore. Recommended.

Afterwards, I fancied Jade Cottage again. Now, as mentioned before, the partitions here mean that tables are pretty much hidden from each other - interestingly, both the seats I'd sat in before were occupied, so I was led to a third, again quite discreet. Apart from the blasted conveyor belt of waiters traipsing past, making me feel constantly under surveillance as they checked whether I was done yet. Of course, the last time I was here I developed a plan for what to choose next - unfortunately, I needed to check the blog to see what I'd said, and while I was on my phone, one of these attentive waiters pounced, thinking that meant I was finished with the menu, and took my order. Happily, I had just about had time to decide. I chose the same starter as before (leading to a bit of an argument with the waiter about which menu I was choosing it from, which he cared about more than I did), and this time, honey chicken. With a half bottle of white wine.

Well, the waiter who brought the wine wasn't as solicitous as the previous one in bringing an ice bucket - but to be fair, I didn't need one, and he was great at refilling my glass. The starter was lovely. The honey chicken.. well, it achieved the aim of not being spicy, which was why I chose it, but the honey taste was very slight. The main problem though was the sheer quantity of what they gave me! I hadn't a hope of finishing it, or even of having a dessert. And so, my quest for the perfect dish continues!

Couldn't use the computer last night, it was playing up. For this afternoon, it's looking like the much-advertised Downton Abbey: A New Era. Like the tv series, the films focus on an aristocratic English family: Dame Maggie Smith as the dowager Countess, Hugh Bonneville as the Earl, Brendan Coyle as his valet, Laura Carmichael as one of his daughters, Jim Carter as the butler, Penelope Wilton as a cousin, and friend of the dowager Countess, whose son is heir to the earldom, as the Earl and Countess have no sons. I was never a fan of the tv series, and didn't see the first film, but hey, it should be watchable. Apparently, in this one, a film crew arrives at the stately home - the real-life Highclere Castle - while about half the family decamp to a villa in the south of France, which was bequeathed to the Dowager Countess, and which they never knew about!

Back to London then tomorrow, and on Tuesday, a revamped version of Oklahoma at the Young Vic!

On Wednesday (Star Wars Day - May the fourth be with you), I'm at last back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! Ah, it's been too long.. someone suggested that I skip off work for a couple of hours during the day to go on the walks, but seriously, every time I checked when his walks were, I had a meeting that clashed! So, not an option. Anyway, this is the Cool Camden Pub Walk! It was actually rescheduled - was originally supposed to happen last Wednesday. Unfortunately, this Wednesday, it clashes with a couple of other things - a Civilised London (CL) meal I was actually booked on (happily, he gave me a refund of my deposit), and leaving drinks for my favourite ex-boss from my last company. Tarnation. Well, can't be helped - this is a pub tour I really want to go on. I was originally booked for an online talk that night - Fight Them on the Beaches is a talk about the greatest speeches in parliament. Courtesy of Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex. But they record the talks, so I can catch it afterwards. True, isn't it - everything happens on Wednesdays!

On Thursday, I'm off to Scandaltown, at the Lyric. Yet another play by the prolific Mike Bartlett, this is a revamped Restoration comedy, set in modern-day, debauched London. As always, love his stuff and am really looking forward to this. But wouldn't you know it, now CT has tickets.. ah well..

Just as well I had Friday free when another ex-boss, Ivan, asked when we could do drinks again! He also suggested we try to find somewhere quieter than the last place - not an easy ask, for a central venue on a Friday night. Ah, but I have contacts.. the organiser of CL once recommended to me a pub just off Charing Cross Road, which he knows as quieter than the usual - I couldn't remember the name, but he reminded me it's the Round Table. I'd have booked, but they seem not to take bookings on Friday evenings. Our ex-colleague is coming, and for the first time, my aforementioned ex-boss from my last company! Should be cool.

On Saturday, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's a walk called Red Lights, Rabble Rousers & RocknRollers, around Soho. And Helen is coming up for it! So, a highly sociable week!

And next Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club. This is The Origins of Life and Death, with Jan Blake, at the British Museum, which I missed in January. Limited availability at time of writing, as they have socially distanced seating.

No comments:

Post a Comment