Thursday 19 May 2022

Storytelling: Astray

Tonight, I headed to the Crick Crack Club (CCC) again, for Astray, at Rich Mix. A storytelling double bill, both Irish ladies telling Irish myths! I can walk there, of course, from my current place - thought I'd try The Astronomer for food en route, although after last time, I wasn't optimistic about getting a table.

There was a huge crowd outside, in the warm weather - I wasn't optimistic, but lo, as I looked in the door - was that a free, small table?! I grabbed it. Sure enough, it was a bone fide table, complete with number. Thank goodness for the ordering from the table - I'd never have dared to leave this table, having found it, and it would have taken me ages to queue and order at the bar! As it was, it can't have taken more than five minutes after my order before my wine arrived - a nice Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

Not long more before my main arrived. I was a bit dubious about this - I'd ordered the chicken, but wasn't at all sure what exactly I'd ordered. It's a complicated dish (although not expensive) - chicken stuffed with tarragon and mushroom, accompanied by carrot, onion puree, and potato cake. Is what it was. And TBH, when it did arrive, I wasn't at all sure what was what! The potato cake looked like a slice of pie, cut in a triangular shape, and was a little salty - but the rest was seriously delicious. I think they use chicken thighs - tricky, but tastier. Man, it was gorgeous - highly recommended. I gushed about it to the lady who cleared the table. Some chocolate ice cream for dessert - not the best, but after that chicken, I wasn't complaining. Seriously, if you get the chance of a table here, have that. Done and dusted, with plenty of time to stroll the rest of the way.

At Rich Mix, I was waved upstairs without anyone checking my credentials - upstairs, they checked my name off a list. I got another glass of wine at the bar. Lovely, relaxed atmosphere, Martin Shaw and Ben Haggarty mooching around - and I was talking to him, briefly! We went in early, and I got my usual front and centre seat. No rush on people coming in - indeed, I had time to get a refill, although it was already showtime!


Both Northern Islanders, it turned out - one retaining her original accent, despite - as she said - living here for most of her life! The theme of the evening - "astray" - comes from the Irish, "ar strae" - translated as "lost". First up was Cath Heinemeyer, breathing new life - and much energy - into the old tale of Sweeney, the Irish king who went mad and grew feathers! Ah, that's what you get if you diss the clergy.. Now, as it happened, I do believe I was seated beside Laura Sampson, a longtime CCC afficionada, who spent some time taking notes during this talk. Lord knows what, she was most careful to hide what she was doing! But I don't blame her for note-taking - this was a most original performance, the storyteller challenging us to step into the mind of the lead character. Suitably mad, as Ben remarked at the interval..

The second half saw Lara McClure tell us the tale of Barry Lyndon, an 18th-century rogue who flitted from pillar to post, never quite becoming what you might call settled. Her method was more conventional - less hopping about, and a more defined style. It's one of the more entertaining accounts I've heard of that fellow - and she managed to squeeze a fair bit of Anglo-Irish politics in there, including a bit about exporting "Irishness", which seems a theme of hers, from the conversation I overheard her having before the show. Most entertaining, all the same. And the whole was over nice and early! Always good for getting home.

Tomorrow, headed to Marys Seacole, at Donmar Warehouse. Based on a true story. I've heard mixed reviews - we shall see. They were good enough to email me a link to my ticket.

And on Saturday - well Lordy, I've booked for the Roman London Walk, with Walk About London (also advertised on Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts - both linked to London Guided Walks). Now, I missed the last two I was booked on with this company - third time lucky? Got reminders yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment