Sunday 29 May 2022

Film: Top Gun - Maverick

The film for the weekend - was Top Gun: Maverick! in which Tom Cruise reprises his fighter-pilot role of so many years ago. Also stars Jennifer Connelly as his love interest, who owns the local bar (how else could they meet? as the US Navy disapproves of work relationships), Val Kilmer back as Iceman, now an admiral - a significant decision, given that throat cancer has left him unable to speak, and his lines are read by an AI program. Ed Harris is the rear admiral. Love song by Lady Gaga. Now, I couldn't really miss this. And indeed, a flattering review in yesterday's paper was written by someone who hadn't expected much from it at all.. as she says, "The bastards. They got me."

With plenty of time to spare, of course I ended up tight for time. Got myself an ice cream on the way in, it being so warm and sunny outside. The trailers were on when I got to the screen - Screen 1, the largest, although at this matinée there were only maybe half a dozen of us. And I discovered that it's a little complicated to eat ice cream in the dark, when you can't see whether it's fallen off the spoon..

And so to the main attraction - and oh YES, they start with Danger Zone. Perfect - and combine that with lots of shots of fighter jets taking off, and it's a real nostalgia-fest. Which is exactly what fans of the original want. So, the basic story is that Maverick (Tom Cruise's callsign) pissed off the wrong people, and got kicked out of Top Gun, the elite fighter pilot school. He's now a test pilot, still pushing the envelope - until he gets recalled to Top Gun, courtesy of his now-VIP friend Iceman, to teach a group of students to fly a desperately difficult mission.

The Top Gun films work with the Navy, you know - they need to, to get access to these incredibly expensive pieces of equipment. And despite the side stories to get us interested in the characters, it's really the flying that we're there for. Which is spectacular - no lesser word will do. I spent much of the film with my hands to my mouth - this is exciting, thrilling to watch: and when they get to do the mission for real at the end of the film, you get spectacular scenery to match. Speaking of the side stories, they have someone playing the son of Goose, who was killed in the first film - and did a good job of finding someone who quite resembles him! Anyway, look, you know what this film is about - you'll be interested or not. Let me just reassure you, if this is your thing - this is exactly what you'd hoped for, and more. And if this is your thing - get out there and see it!

Afterwards, to Jade Cottage again, and consulted my blog to find out what was good to eat. She remembered me, and correctly predicted what I'd have to drink! For main, I had the kung po chicken. Now, it has the advantage of not filling me up - but it's a pity, because I really didn't feel like it, and would have preferred General Tso's chicken. Which does fill me up. So I can't win.. Might be rethinking where I eat, next time.

Was too tired to blog last night. So, back to London today - and I feel like film again tomorrow. What's coming up is The Quiet Girl, ironically - an Irish film, partly in the Irish language, in which a little girl from a dysfunctional family is fostered out to another (Carrie Crowley, famous to us in Ireland from years of TV work, plays the foster mother). Supposed to be really good - the little girl is played by Catherine Clinch, whose first film it is, and who won an IFTA for her performance. Closest showing to me is in the Curzon Bloomsbury.

On Tuesday, attending an online talk by Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex. They're starting a Short Story Tuesdays series, where the host reads a short story by a selected author (fee £3) - and this week's author is Graham Greene. No link yet, I notice.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London for an Italian meal - this is in Terra Rossa, meeting beforehand in The Crown, as usual. Should be able to pick up the keys to my new place beforehand. :-)

On Thursday, I finally get my postponed meeting with my ex-coworkers - and after my glowing reports of Bill's on Clink Street, we're heading there! Optional drinks beforehand, I've suggested The Old Thameside Inn.

On Friday - taking advantage of the bank holiday, I booked something that's been heavily advertised. At £60, it's not cheap, but I really fancied it, so I'm headed to The Gunpowder Plot, an immersive, combined VR and real-life experience at the Tower. You can get a themed lunch with that, but I passed. Earliest date now available is the 8th, at a minimum price of £50 (last few available) - the price increases as you get closer to the date. And ironic how these two events are closer to my old place..

And on Saturday, booked with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts again for A Nosey Around Soho. In association with London Guided Walks as usual, a £3 discount for using the code MEETUP3, which at least covers the booking fee. Looks like Hazel herself is running this one - if so, it'll be the first time I'll have seen her in years. Assuming I'm not a couple of minutes late, and miss her. Well, if I do get to go, I hope she doesn't spam me, like she did after the last one, with constant ads for her podcast and requests for reviews! Of course, if you go on her site, there seems to be no way to leave a review..

No comments:

Post a Comment