Sunday 29 May 2022

Restaurant: Cote Barbican

So, back to London today - and was hungry, and the nearest sensible option was Cote. Well, they had no problem seating me, and I had some lovely calamari to start. For main, I'd chosen the chicken. And I had my usual chardonnay, which is very nice.

Which is just as well, considering it was all I had to occupy me for a VERY LONG TIME! Had that glass finished, and was on my second by the time the chicken eventually appeared. My sarcastic remark was lost on the waiter. Anyway, also just as well I'd paid extra for mushroom sauce, it needs something. But it was nice and moist. Mainly. As usual, the ice cream was the best part of the meal. I won't be sorry when this is no longer local to me, imminently.

I feel like film again tomorrow. What's coming up is The Quiet Girl, ironically - an Irish film, partly in the Irish language, in which a little girl from a dysfunctional family is fostered out to another (Carrie Crowley, famous to us in Ireland from years of TV work, plays the foster mother). Supposed to be really good - the little girl is played by Catherine Clinch, whose first film it is, and who won an IFTA for her performance. Closest showing to me is in the Curzon Bloomsbury.

On Tuesday, attending an online talk by Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex. They're starting a Short Story Tuesdays series, where the host reads a short story by a selected author (fee £3) - and this week's author is Graham Greene. No link yet, I notice.

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London for an Italian meal - this is in Terra Rossa, meeting beforehand in The Crown, as usual. Should be able to pick up the keys to my new place beforehand. :-)

On Thursday, I finally get my postponed meeting with my ex-coworkers - and after my glowing reports of Bill's on Clink Street, we're heading there! Optional drinks beforehand, I've suggested The Old Thameside Inn.

On Friday - taking advantage of the bank holiday, I booked something that's been heavily advertised. At £60, it's not cheap, but I really fancied it, so I'm headed to The Gunpowder Plot, an immersive, combined VR and real-life experience at the Tower. You can get a themed lunch with that, but I passed. Earliest date now available is the 8th, at a minimum price of £50 (last few available) - the price increases as you get closer to the date. And ironic how these two events are closer to my old place..

And on Saturday, booked with Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts again for A Nosey Around Soho. In association with London Guided Walks as usual, a £3 discount for using the code MEETUP3, which at least covers the booking fee. Looks like Hazel herself is running this one - if so, it'll be the first time I'll have seen her in years. Assuming I'm not a couple of minutes late, and miss her. Well, if I do get to go, I hope she doesn't spam me, like she did after the last one, with constant ads for her podcast and requests for reviews! Of course, if you go on her site, there seems to be no way to leave a review.. AND I see she advertises these on TAC now, with a £3 cash charge on the day to the guide - still, this would be the cheaper option. (and ACLUB also gets you a £3 discount..)

No comments:

Post a Comment