Wednesday 4 May 2022

Musical: Oklahoma!

Last night, I was at a revamped version of Oklahoma at the Young Vic! They sent the ticket on Sunday, by email.

With the boss on holiday this week, I could sneak off a bit early - so I headed back to The Duke of Sussex for dinner beforehand. Could get any number of different buses - and lo, as I approached, no fewer than three of the ones I could get were disappearing into the distance! Never mind, it wasn't long till another came along - I had to change with that one, but the next wasn't long either, and I soon found myself in Waterloo.


A short walk to the pub - I hadn't been able to book online, but when I asked at the bar, there was no trouble in seating me there! I ordered at the bar as well, which is much handier than being in the restaurant and having to wait for service. Didn't fancy a starter, had the same chicken kyiv as before - and it was, again, gorgeous. Looked at the desserts, didn't see anything I fancied apart from ice cream.. then I noticed it was gluten free, and suddenly thought - wasn't the ice cream weird here? So I checked the blog - and sure enough, to be avoided! Phew, narrow escape - how useful this blog can be! I had a second glass of wine instead, having time to kill.

Headed down to the theatre then, and into the bar - which was as cramped as ever. I've never liked this bar. So I headed back outside again, still having time to kill - saw a Caffe Nero across the road, and thought that'd be nice, and would do for dessert! I see they don't do the cafe milano any more - they now call it "luxury Belgian hot chocolate", which I had - mind you, it's been so long since I had the other, I'm not sure it's the same. Certainly, it wasn't served the same way. But hey, it was nice. I had a little bar of gianduja with it - which was severely melted! But anyway, it was nicer than what I'd have had in The Duke of Sussex.

And so across again, just in time to take my seat.


I was handily near the end of the row, with no-one outside me - until the second act, when I was joined by a couple of ladies. Being upgraded? The ushers had been looking for spare seats, so I don't think they'd had them booked already. Anyway, so it's a prime location - but the bench seating isn't very comfortable, even with upholstery. Oh, and there's a table in front of the front row - beware, it's there for a purpose. They prop drinks on it - and when the party gets going, they get a bit frisky! When one of them started to shake a can before he opened it, I knew what was coming - and even in the second row, I got splashed..

So. The singing is terrific - and they do the original numbers. Mostly, it's quite traditional - and with the wooden set, and a backdrop depicting a flat, agricultural landscape, it gives a good impression of a large building in a rural community. When they traipse on in cowboy hats, denims, and chaps - and with all the guns displayed along the walls, as well as some carried by the actors (be warned, they do shoot some off during the production) - well, you're in no doubt but that you're in the middle US of A. And wow, they give it welly! I remember our school putting this on one year - we had a thing for musicals - but it didn't have anything like the energy of this!

Having said that, after a while I was beginning to wonder - the advertising had mentioned a modern production, as indeed I would associate with this theatre. Well, we sure did get that in due course - and I wasn't entirely sure of some of the staging. Yes, the tone is a lot darker than I'm used to - which is no bad thing. But honestly - two complete blackouts during the show, each lasting for several minutes? During which we can hear the actors continuing with the production. Used for particularly disturbing scenes. Eerie, and I'm not sure it quite worked - seems excessive, really. But as I say, they effectively conveyed an air of menace - and affected the whole tone of the show! Which I say again is no bad thing. Runs until the 25th of next month, some shows socially distanced, some relaxed performances. An interesting take, if you want to check it out. It ran too late last night to blog.

Well, today is Star Wars Day - May the fourth be with you! And I have another flat viewing this evening - this for a 1-bed! Imagine, affordable and within walking distance of work - fingers crossed it works out, I'd love to live alone again, for the first time since I moved to London! Later in the evening, I'm delighted to be at last back with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! Ah, it's been too long.. someone suggested that I skip off work for a couple of hours during the day to go on the walks, but seriously, every time I checked when his walks were, I had a meeting that clashed! So, not an option. Anyway, this is the Cool Camden Pub Walk! and a short walk from the flat I'll be viewing. It was actually rescheduled - was originally supposed to happen last Wednesday. Unfortunately, tonight it clashes with a couple of other things - a Civilised London (CL) meal I was actually booked on (happily, he gave me a refund of my deposit), and leaving drinks for my favourite ex-boss from my last company. Tarnation. Well, can't be helped - this is a pub tour I really want to go on. I was originally booked for an online talk tonight - Fight Them on the Beaches is a talk about the greatest speeches in parliament. Courtesy of Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex. But they record the talks, so I can catch it afterwards. True, isn't it - everything happens on Wednesdays!

Tomorrow, I'm off to Scandaltown, at the Lyric. Yet another play by the prolific Mike Bartlett, this is a revamped Restoration comedy, set in modern-day, debauched London. As always, love his stuff and am really looking forward to this. But wouldn't you know it, now CT has tickets.. ah well..

Just as well I had Friday free when another ex-boss, Ivan, asked when we could do drinks again! He also suggested we try to find somewhere quieter than the last place - not an easy ask, for a central venue on a Friday night. Ah, but I have contacts.. the organiser of CL once recommended to me a pub just off Charing Cross Road, which he knows as quieter than the usual - I couldn't remember the name, but he reminded me it's the Round Table. I'd have booked, but they seem not to take bookings on Friday evenings. Our ex-colleague is coming, and for the first time, my aforementioned ex-boss from my last company! Should be cool, and will make up for me missing her leaving drinks tonight.

On Saturday, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's a walk called Red Lights, Rabble Rousers & RocknRollers, around Soho. And Helen is coming up for it! So, a highly sociable week!

And on Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club. This is The Origins of Life and Death, with Jan Blake, at the British Museum, which I missed in January. Limited availability at time of writing, as they have socially distanced seating.

No comments:

Post a Comment