Wednesday 18 May 2022

Pub: The Folly

Needed something to eat after the webinar this evening, but I was tired of my regular places. So I trawled around for something new, and came on The Folly. It seemed to have plenty of availability, so I didn't book, just headed down there - it's about a 10-minute walk.

I had to navigate a bouncer to get in! He asked whether I had a reservation, I said no, I was looking for a table. He directed me to the front desk. Well, duh. A highly uninterested-looking young lady said "Of course we have a table!", led me to a nearby one, slapped a menu down at the nearest seat, and stalked off. The din was deafening! I'd hate to hear it when it's full.. anyway, another young lady with an unflappable smile asked what I'd like to drink, but I hadn't had a chance to look yet. When she came back, I was ready with both a food, and a drinks order. Decided, ironically, to try the minute steak that I'm so sick of at Cote, and yay, they have onion rings as an optional side! It's so long since I had them..


Wow, that's what I call a steak knife.. Well, it was hardly any time in coming, and it was gorgeous. The chips were nice and chunky, although they could have done with some salt, and there was none at the table. The steak was perfect, like Cote's used to be, and the onion rings were so good.. The din never did abate, mind, and I had to think that this is not the place to come with someone you want to have a conversation with! It is, apparently, the place to source booze though - two office types arrived, spoke to someone, and left with multiple crates of beer.

And then things went downhill. I had a look at the dessert menu, but what appealed most was the hot chocolate, which came with optional hazelnut syrup - so I ordered that. And waited and waited and waited.. must have been over half an hour before she arrived with it, apologising for the delay. What, did they have to source a cow?! Not that great shakes either - it comes with a small brownie square, which I highly recommend dissolving in it; it needs some flavour! I'd been drinking for a while before I remembered it was supposed to have syrup in it - well, there was a faint taste, but not worth the 40p extra! I was sorry I'd ordered anything extra. Finished, got out my card, and timed her - it was 20 minutes, during which she passed my table several times, before I managed to catch her eye and ask for the bill - and by now, I was pissed off enough that I got up and put on my coat, waiting for her to come back with the card machine. Have to hand it to her, her smile was 100 Watt, right to the end! I won't be back, though.

On the walk home, shared the pavement for a while with a guy, leading his (girlfriend?) by the hand as she made her way along on a skateboard beside him. What, was her walking pace too slow for him..? Tomorrow, I'm headed to the Crick Crack Club again, for Astray, at Rich Mix. A storytelling double bill, both Irish ladies telling Irish myths!

On Friday, headed to Marys Seacole, at Donmar Warehouse. Based on a true story. I've heard mixed reviews - we shall see.

And on Saturday - well Lordy, I've booked for the Roman London Walk, with Walk About London (also advertised on Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts - both linked to London Guided Walks). Now, I missed the last two I was booked on with this company - third time lucky? Got reminders today.

No comments:

Post a Comment