Thursday 3 October 2019

Play: The Merry Wives of Windsor

Last night, I headed to The Merry Wives of Windsor, at the Globe. And wouldn't you know it, it completely rained itself out on Tuesday, and yesterday was the first day with no rain in two weeks! Feckin' freezing, though.. it would be the day I'd be sitting outdoors.

It'd also be the day I decided the toothache that developed suddenly, and for no good reason, on Sunday night could no longer be ignored. I mean, I couldn't finish my lunch - every mouthful caused me pain. So I looked up the closest dentist - and wouldn't you know it, Vestry House is a five-minute walk from the office: ah, the convenience of working in central London. And they could see me almost immediately! Right then, off I went. And they were lovely, and the dentist was very accomplished. Turned out to be one of those complicated procedures though, where she not only had to replace a filling, but also plaster a hairline fracture, and do some cleaning. Really, there was so much work involved, I (almost) didn't mind the price tag. Which, to be fair, did include a premium for an emergency appointment.

Well, afterwards the pain was gone - as long as I didn't poke the tooth the wrong way. So, in due course, off I set to walk to the Globe.


Sure enough, it was damn cold - and as I neared the far side of the bridge, my tooth started to mutter. I navigated through what sounded like a group of foreign schoolkids, being assigned groundling tickets, and took my seat in a nearly empty section - the theatre was only half full. I'm guessing that was the cold. My tooth definitely didn't like it, and as I sat down, it developed into a full-blown pain - the kind where I was seriously considering chewing the pain relief tablets in my bag, as I didn't have anything to wash them down with! But it only lasted about five minutes, and hasn't been back since. What a difference from the early part of the week..


Someone was blowing bubbles! Now, I hadn't seen anything really good in the Globe this year so far. Delighted to say that this show bucked the trend! The madcap tale of Falstaff's shenanigans is given a 30s setting, with a terrific jazz score, and really the most terrific Falstaff - quite hilarious, especially as he picked on a poor couple in the pit. And wouldn't you know it, hardly any gender-switching - what a relief. Runs until the 12th, on selected days - this is far and away the best production they've had all year. Highly recommended. Just wrap up.. and take cash, because they're collecting. And my tooth complained again on the way home, but no actual pain this time, just throbbing. It took my phone so long to turn on though (I needed it for directions) that it ran too late to blog.

Tonight, I'm back with Civilised London - this should be interesting. Red Palace is an immersive cabaret experience - lots of fairytale characters, I believe - at the Vaults. And I really hope the weather is ok, because I sourced the most fantastic outfit for it..! Supposed to rain, but it might at least hold off till we get there. On Sunday night, someone from the group took the trouble to read the T&Cs - fair play her! - and realised that we have to wear masks. Damnit, and I have one from Venice that would have done perfectly! except it's back in Ireland. Ah well, they'll have cheap ones for sale on the door - just hope I don't freeze.. Tooth is very sensitive, but basically behaving, and I've packed the drugs. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - the start of another brief hiatus from Meetup.

On Monday, I'm off to Shushkin's Stories, at the Barbican. Performed in Russian, with English surtitles, it's a dramatisation of the short stories of Vasily Shushkin.

On Tuesday, off to Wilton's, for Lady of Jazz.

On Wednesday, heading to the Turbine Theatre, for Torch Song. This is the inaugural show at the new theatre in the revamped Battersea Power Station!

Next Thursday, back with Meetup - North London Friends is off to A History of Water in the Middle East, at the Royal Court. Another where I got my ticket from the organiser.

On the 11th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - to Southwark Playhouse this time, for Preludes. D' you know, I bought their passport a while ago, which entitles you to cheap tickets to five shows - and of the last three I booked, something else came up for every single one! Hope I make this one.. reports of it being "weird" don't phase me in the slightest!

On the 12th, seeing the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turns out that both UITCS and Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) are going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And since only the organiser and I are going from LLTAMS, I hope we can merge.. Ivan is talking about possibly meeting up that evening.

On the 13th, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival.

On the 14th, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park.

On the 15th, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On the 16th, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On the 17th, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On the 18th, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out.

On the 29th, I'm trying to persuade the social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun..

On the 30th, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

And for Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

No comments:

Post a Comment