Friday 11 October 2019

Performance: A History of Water in the Middle East

Last night, North London Friends (NLF) was off to A History of Water in the Middle East, at the Royal Court. Another where I got my ticket from the organiser.

Well, Google Maps couldn't seem to decide whether I could get the bus there in under an hour - so I took the Tube. At least it was the Circle Line, so a pleasant experience - not that crowded, and I got a seat straight away. Arrived in the theatre bar to find the others - most of them - had congregated at a table to the side. Just as well they advertised their presence - it's impossible to see anyone in that crowded bar! And we chatted away there - well, with some difficulty, given all the noise - until it was time to head up. The last person arrived a bit later, and met us as we were queueing on the stairs. And you do forget just how many stairs there are for the upstairs theatre here - ouch!

Seating is unassigned in the upstairs theatre, and we got places front-facing, in the front two (of three) rows. Just as well we were in early - it was pretty packed! but then, it's a small theatre.



Highlighted are the countries they'll be speaking about. The two ladies performing mention that they're half-Egyptian - I don't recall them mentioning where this chap is from. He also stays on stage throughout, to provide musical accompaniment.

This is a kind of lecture - the likes of which you've probably never seen before. The writer is one of the performers, and the show takes the form of them prancing around the stage, rapping about the various countries and taking on the persona of sundry women from some - past and future. Interspersed with this is a reproduction of the final process of the writer's application to MI6 - an officious-looking man in a trenchcoat asking her probing questions about her background.

She does mention that she brought on the other performer because she was wondering how to present this - she didn't want a dry and dusty lecture, and she certainly succeeded in that aim; she decided a musical slant would work, but she can't sing. So she brought on someone who could. Her fellow performer is useful in other ways - her diction is also much better than the writer's, and she is much more comfortable with moving around the stage. It wouldn't have been much of a performance with the writer on her own, frankly.

Definitely light on facts, it does nevertheless bring up some interesting points. It does mention Britain's colonisation of the area around the Persian Gulf: the lack of water in Jordan and how they're apparently pushing a plan to create more women plumbers: Israel's bombings in the Gaza Strip: the humanitarian disaster in Yemen. But if you're hoping for a history lesson, you'll be disappointed.

At first, the rapping really put me off, and some of the descriptions are just outbursts of ranting - but I warmed to the performance, and the more traditional music snippets are beautiful. Have to mention the excellent reworking of Sweet Caroline, which is one of the highlights! In short, this is unconventional - but a straightforward lecture would indeed have been very dry. In trying to present this in a more interesting way, the author might not have got everything right, but she certainly produced something unique. And there are some things I'll take away with me - for the right reasons. Runs till the 16th of next month - approach with caution.

Funnily enough, in the bar afterwards, all anyone felt like was - water! Happily, they keep a lot of it around the side. And drinking it, I for one felt most decadent. Took the bus home - and although a night-time journey is faster, mine was lengthened somewhat by a massive diversion, necessary due to the ongoing antics of Extinction Rebellion. Of course, in no way is disrupting the lives of regular Londoners going to do anything useful - but London is a handy, high-profile, safe place to protest. Anyway, with an early meeting this morning, it ran too late to blog.

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - to Southwark Playhouse this time, for Preludes. D' you know, I bought their passport a while ago, which entitles you to cheap tickets to five shows - and of the last three I booked, something else came up for every single one! Hope I make this one.. reports of it being "weird" don't phase me in the slightest! Meeting at Mercato Metropolitano, across the road, beforehand for a bite to eat.

Tomorrow, seeing the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turns out that both UITCS and Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) are going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And since only the organiser and I are going from LLTAMS, I hope we can merge.. Ivan was talking about possibly meeting up that evening, but then realised he had a train booked for the following morning, so we have to reschedule.

On Sunday, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival.

On Monday, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park. I see NLF is going to this a bit later, and already raving about it..

On Tuesday, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On Wednesday, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On Thursday, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

Next Friday, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand at the Slug & Lettuce. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out - indeed, I see availability is now limited.

On the 29th, I'm trying to persuade the social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun.. I've booked, at least, and a couple of others have indicated they'll come.

On the 30th, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

For Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

On the 1st, that rescheduled meeting with Ivan.. he's away most of the time till then, and I'm busy the rest of the time!

And on the 2nd, I've booked with Best Authentic Walking Tours in London, for a Royal Maritime Greenwich Ghost Tour. Now, this is - as with all their walks - with Funzing, so I can get a refund up to 48 hours beforehand. Which I'll probably do (have, in fact, done for this twice already), as I might go to a film that day - depending what's on - or, if I don't like the offerings, LLTAMS is off to Blood Wedding, a new adaptation of the Lorca play, at the Young Vic. By 'eck, though, I see there's already limited availability on tickets for the whole run, and several dates sold out! Hope I don't lose out..

No comments:

Post a Comment