Thursday 17 October 2019

Storytelling: Melusine

Tonight, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) was back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP was the headliner on this occasion, which promised to be terrific!

It's a funny thing - whenever I ask Google Maps how long it would take to walk to Rich Mix from the office, it says 30 minutes - when I click on the walking directions, it switches to 31. Which is the difference between me walking and not walking. So, I always end up on the bus - which is what I did this evening. Funny thing happened, though. I usually take the #8 - but I had alternatives, and when one came along first this evening, I said I'd take that. However, I was a bit distracted, sending contact details for someone who's coming along tomorrow to someone else.. well, that's what I'm blaming it on, anyway.

Because I took the #25 instead of the #26.. I was at Aldgate before I noticed, thinking - I wasn't supposed to go this way! So I hopped off there, trotted a bit of the way, took another bus another stretch.. I knew I was going to be late now, but consoled myself with the knowledge that (a) they never start on time and (b) they leave seats near the entrance for latecomers. What was annoying was the thought of how very much easier the journey would have been on the #8, which runs right past the door.

Me, I disembarked - and then looked askance at Google Maps' suggestion to go down Redchurch Street. It's a very good thing that I've been to Rich Mix several times before, and knew the entrance is round the other side - not to mention that Google Maps has sent me to the back door before, both here and elsewhere. (I've complained.)

Anyway, I panted my way in the door - five minutes late - got my ticket, and took the lift to the top floor. Where the nice lady reassured me that they were just about to start. Phew. Well actually, she was being optimistic, because I had time to steer around the people chatting in the middle, head up the stairs, squeeze past several seated people, seat myself, and take off my coat, all before the mc, Ben Haggarty, made his introductions.



Well now, it turns out that this is one of the pieces commissioned on foot of the fundraising drive they did a couple of years ago, for their 30th anniversary! Very glad I contributed to that. And no wonder we got a fancier set than usual. TUUP even brought his band along - they and their equipment were secluded behind the foliage.

And what trippy, psychedelic music, for a trippy, psychedelic show! Even more away with it than usual, TUUP led us through the fascinating tale of Melusine and her sisters; I knew it had something to do with the mythical origins of European royalty, but I had never heard the story proper. The band's music fitted perfectly - and I do hope the rest of the audience, including many newcomers, enjoyed it as much as I did! Certainly, the mixing of European legend with an African style of telling was unique..

I had a much more relaxing walk home. Tomorrow, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - a group of us are meeting for dinner beforehand at the Slug & Lettuce. Hence the spreading of contact details - a couple of old faces should be there, whom it'll be great to see! Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they have now, predictably, sold out.

On the 29th, I'm trying to persuade the social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun.. I've booked, at least, and a couple of others have indicated they'll come.

On the 30th, back with Meetup at last - Up in the Cheap Seats is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

For Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

On the 1st, meeting Ivan.. he's away most of the time till then, and I'm busy the rest of the time!

And on the 2nd, I've booked with Best Authentic Walking Tours in London, for a Royal Maritime Greenwich Ghost Tour. Now, this is - as with all their walks - with Funzing, so I can get a refund up to 48 hours beforehand. Which I'll probably do (have, in fact, done for this twice already), as I might go to a film that day - depending what's on - or, if I don't like the offerings, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is off to Blood Wedding, a new adaptation of the Lorca play, at the Young Vic. But I now see that's sold out - was bound to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment