Friday 4 October 2019

Cabaret: The Red Palace

Tonight, I was back with Civilised London - this promised to be interesting. Red Palace is an immersive cabaret experience - lots of fairytale characters - at the Vaults. And I really hoped the weather would be ok, because I sourced a great outfit for it..! Supposed to rain, but it might at least hold off till we got there. On Sunday night, someone from the group took the trouble to read the T&Cs - fair play her! - and realised that we should wear masks. Damnit, and I have one from Venice that would have done perfectly! except it's back in Ireland. Ah well, they have cheap ones for sale on the door - just hoped I wouldn't freeze.. Tooth was very sensitive, but basically behaving, and I packed the drugs.

I got ready in decent time - and there was some getting ready to do, although the outfit went on easier than the last times. Hallelujah, no rain on the outbound trip! The bus was slightly delayed.. but I got there pretty much exactly when we were meant to.. no sign of the organiser at the entrance to the Banksy Tunnel, so I went down - and met him in the middle. Banksy himself no longer has any work displayed here, apparently - it's all been overpainted. Indeed, they were hard at work doing exactly that, tonight - and there were some photoshoots in progress, too. 


 



There was some confusion over where the entrance was - it turned out to be right on the other side, down a passageway I'd never before been down! (Contrary to instructions on the website.) One of the group got the railway workers to guide her. Well, we eventually found our way, and paid a couple of quid for the cloakroom - as well as a little more for some rather nice, compact, glittery masks:



For all that I bothered to bring cash, by the way, they turn out to be completely cashless down there. Well, after that, we passed through to the ballroom, the nerve centre of operations, with a bar at the back. Drinks in hand, we found ourselves beset by all manner of weird and wonderful creatures, all delighted to make our acquaintance! There was Snow (a grown-up version of Snow White, I guess, with a fixation on the Prince). There was a fantastic character, in a bridal gown, who couldn't stop dancing.. but best of all was the slinky black cat; I'm just sorry I didn't get a photo of her, she was extraordinary.






The evening has a backdrop of well-chosen music, a medley of classical, rock, and more.. After an introductory speech from the Prince, you're led away down the hallway to a succession of rooms, to meet a parade of characters. First up for us was Snow's boudoir:


The Gingerbread House turns out to be another bar, where you can have a welcome respite, watch a bit of cabaret - courtesy of Hansel and Gretel - and have the night's story advanced a bit. Because, you see, there is a quest behind all this. This is also where you first meet the Wolf (as in big, bad..)



There's a terrifically creepy, cavernous forest room, where we meet Red Riding Hood - no photos allowed there, unfortunately. If in doubt as to what to do next, follow the cat.. she'll (eventually, in her own time!) lead you upstairs to Baba Yaga.



There are rooms we didn't get into - you couldn't possibly see everything in the time available. In due course, everyone is summoned back to the ballroom for the climactic finale..



We repaired to the main bar afterwards - where I was rather glad to remove the mask, at last. And the general consensus was that it had been fantastic, very well-organised, with plenty of enthusiastic characters to help confused punters on their way, a plot to help things along, terrific decor and creation of atmosphere. Highly recommended! Definitely different - and plenty warm inside, so you didn't need to worry about freezing in your glad rags. And yes, in the spirit of things, I think it's worth dressing up a little. Runs till the 12th of January - four nights a week, I believe.

Well, the storm turned out to be a damp squib - spitting rain as we came out, which was still light rain by the time I got home. Eventually, given that the bus that was supposed to be "due" according to the indicator board stayed "due" for 10 minutes! Typical for terminus stops. Tonight, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, I'm off to Shushkin's Stories, at the Barbican. Performed in Russian, with English surtitles, it's a dramatisation of the short stories of Vasily Shushkin.

On Tuesday, off to Wilton's, for Lady of Jazz.

On Wednesday, I booked at the Turbine Theatre, for Torch Song. This is the inaugural show at the new theatre in the revamped Battersea Power Station! But today, London European Club (courtesy of Henning) advertised a concert of Cretan music at Jamboree, which sounds much more fun - so I've decided to go to that instead. Wow, it's years since I was last there!

On Thursday, North London Friends is off to A History of Water in the Middle East, at the Royal Court. Another where I got my ticket from the organiser.

Next Friday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - to Southwark Playhouse this time, for Preludes. D' you know, I bought their passport a while ago, which entitles you to cheap tickets to five shows - and of the last three I booked, something else came up for every single one! Hope I make this one.. reports of it being "weird" don't phase me in the slightest!

On the 12th, seeing the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turns out that both UITCS and Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) are going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And since only the organiser and I are going from LLTAMS, I hope we can merge.. Ivan is talking about possibly meeting up that evening.

On the 13th, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival.

On the 14th, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park.

On the 15th, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On the 16th, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On the 17th, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On the 18th, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out.

On the 29th, I'm trying to persuade the social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun..

On the 30th, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

And for Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

No comments:

Post a Comment