Sunday 20 October 2019

Restaurant: Bombay Bustle & Pub: Waxy O' Connor's

On Friday, Helen was in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - a group of us arranged to meet for dinner beforehand at the Slug & Lettuce. A couple of old faces were supposed to be there, whom it'd be great to see!

So I took off nice and early, and got a couple of buses. Actually, the first one I was supposed to get wasn't due for a while, so I took an alternative, when it came - the advantage of knowing the area! It just dropped me a little further away than the other would've. And we made great time - I made the pub 10 minutes earlier than anticipated, and met Helen outside. We actually found the Slug & Lettuce was too busy - and very loud, BTW. So I checked on Google Maps for nearby restaurants - we had a wander down the road, and found ourselves on Maddox Street, between an Indian and a steakhouse. A brief dither - no immediate feedback from the group - so we chose the Indian, Bombay Bustle.

As we weren't entirely sure how many would be coming for food - or, indeed, when exactly they'd arrive - they were good enough to put us at the sharing table, which is certainly large enough, and also positioned just inside the door, so we could see people as they arrived. We ultimately got an initial six that shared food and a bottle of wine; a few that arrived later did their own thing, and a couple that arrived last, and had nothing to do with us, just took the spare seats at the table. We decided just to order a variety of starters to share, and along with the wine, a couple of people had beer (one came in a stein) - we also ordered still water for everyone.

It started well - the wine was lovely, the food really tasty. (Although I've had better peshwari naan - it's not worth the £2 more that they charge than for other naans.) Caveat - the spice is spicy here, proceed with caution! However, I have a couple of major quibbles with the restaurant. Firstly, when I was checking the menu outside the door, I didn't see the more expensive dishes - this is Mayfair, and they know how to charge. The wine was the cheapest on the menu, at £39 a bottle - the lamb samosas were delicious, but for £12 I thought that two, quite small, samosas was quite stingy. There were far more main courses for £20+ than for under £20.

Secondly, when they realised that not everyone was eating - a couple just shared the wine - the management got quite aggressive, saying that they could have sold those seats, and people who weren't eating should have sat at the bar. Well now, that was mean - we were hardly going to split up the group, and we certainly ordered enough food to share; what was it to them if not everyone bothered?! Not to mention that they also had seating downstairs, so they weren't exactly short on space. No, it left me with a bad feeling, and I'd be reluctant to return.

However, by and large the food was delicious, and it was great to see people - even if they did gradually slip away to the concert! Word has it that it was excellent. Not everyone that had said they'd come managed it, but at the end there were two of us left who weren't going to the show - and who decided to find somewhere cheaper, and friendlier, to have a drink. Knowing that everywhere central would be packed, I at least decided to find somewhere big enough to hold the crowds: Waxy O' Connor's it was! where we combed the warren of staircases and rooms, finding a semi-quiet corner with seats. And we stayed until the advent of a live band made it uncomfortably loud. Only one quibble here - the "large" glasses of wine are teeny, less than what I'd be used to for a medium. An annoying trend.




Outside again, we chatted as we parted, until a torrential shower encouraged us to make our various ways home. Hey-ho, we're already thinking of when we can arrange to meet again.

Now, that's the day I should have flown back to Ireland - so I came yesterday instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am. Glad I left a bit earlier than usual yesterday, though - I got up at 5, and needed all that time for a 9.05am departure. For one thing, they made us check in our own bags (check-in was cheaper, this time, so that's what I did) - and that alone took half an hour! Anyway, with that early start, I was somewhat exhausted for the rest of the day, and didn't exert myself to blog.

Back to London next Sunday. On the 28th, the Crick Crack Club is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they have now, predictably, sold out.

On the 29th, I'm trying to persuade the social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun.. I've booked, at least, and a couple of others have indicated they'll come, with one from Friday expressing interest.

On the 30th, back with Meetup at last - Up in the Cheap Seats is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

For Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

On the 1st, meeting Ivan.. he's away most of the time till then, and I'm busy the rest of the time!

And on the 2nd, I've booked with Best Authentic Walking Tours in London, for a Royal Maritime Greenwich Ghost Tour. Now, this is - as with all their walks - with Funzing, so I can get a refund up to 48 hours beforehand. Which I'll probably do (have, in fact, done for this twice already), as I might go to a film that day - depending what's on - or, if I don't like the offerings, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is off to Blood Wedding, a new adaptation of the Lorca play, at the Young Vic. But I now see that's sold out - was bound to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment