Wednesday 16 October 2019

Concert: Symphonic Queen

Last night, Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) was off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic was performing Queen. And, of course, one advantage of Meetup is that you usually meet beforehand - which does give you a buffer, in case you're running late, so you at least make the show! And ooh, it didn't rain yesterday, for once..!

Ah yes, just as well I didn't aim to make it just in time for the show. Because, you see, I left it too late to take the bus again - well, the estimated travel time might just have got me there in time, but probably not. Not to mention that I wanted to meet the others beforehand. So I headed off by Tube. What greeted me when I entered the station was a large sign warning of severe delays. Oh Lordy.. Just at that moment, an announcement clarified that a train had broken down at Notting Hill. Well.. I wasn't going that far on the line. And I had no alternative from there. So off I went.

And it was actually fine - apart from a brief delay at a red light at Oxford Circus, which had me wondering whether I should change lines. But no - I guess they got it sorted pretty fast. And I duly disembarked - at Lancaster Gate. And maybe I should have checked beforehand, but it turns out that I was now on the wrong side of Hyde Park..! Google Maps merrily suggested that I walk through the park. Well, apart from the dubious advice to walk through a city park in the dark - they were actually in the process of locking the gates! Happily, there is at least a road through the park, which I made for - but it did take longer, and I had visions of a repeat of Monday's episode! Mercifully, I eventually panted in to where the group was standing - and boy, was I relieved! And only 20 minutes later than I'd planned.



So.. there was a choir for this, as well as the orchestra. Ladies in front, in colourful, sparkly dresses, they looked like nothing so much as a row of Quality Streets.



Can't say I was enamoured of them. They hardly got up from their seats - not singing at all for most numbers; when they did, it was generally only the chorus. The only number they did anything substantial with was Bohemian Rhapsody, just before the interval. Which, to be fair, was excellent. They did click their fingers for a couple of numbers. Mind you, when they did sing, I often had trouble hearing them over the orchestra.. but the effort was appreciated. Hell, I thought it was a travesty that there was no singing at all for I Want to Break Free - and with so many people bursting into song around me, I think I wasn't the only one. When the lyrics are so familiar..

The concert was generally quite good, but by and large we agreed that the second half was much better - seemed to flow better. Certainly, the opener of We Will Rock You was a damp squib - all you really need for most of that is a drum kit, and the orchestral treatment dampened down the excitement of that, and of several numbers. The melodic ones worked better, of course. But the second half did provide some excellent numbers, and a particular shout out to the drummer, who had a blistering solo at one point, and to whoever was playing electric guitar. By the time they got to the last number of We Are the Champions, they finally seemed to have managed to rock the hall, with most people swaying along. And a reprise of We Will Rock You for the encore - worked, finally. A good night. And great to see everyone!

Afterwards, predictably, and as predicted by the organiser, it was impossible to find each other - well, certainly for me; I was ages coming out, the people on either side of me taking so long to move! And then the saga of getting home - by bus - started. Firstly, it turned out that my regular bus stop was closed for roadworks. Most people headed in the direction the bus would travel in - I decided it was a wiser plan to walk in the other direction, to avoid the crowd. Then there was no sign of my bus - never mind, Google Maps said I could take another bus, which would be along imminently. And it was.

The plan was to hook up from that route with my bus home, the 11. So I got off at the interchange stop, which has one of those dinky new style displays. And I don't know what it is about the 11, but it never seems to be predicted to arrive. Within the next half hour, there was no sign of it appearing. I checked alternatives, and discovered that they'd take another 45 minutes to get home from here - and I could have stayed on my last bus to do it, duh.. So I was just wondering whether to give up and take the Tube: and lo, what comes around the corner, like the proverbial knight on a white charger, but an 11 that must have been just starting its route, and was just turning on its lights. Which I jumped onto. Although I still wasn't believing Google Maps' estimate of a 3-minute journey..!

Well, what with the protests having been outlawed, I see that most of the 11's diversions have been lifted - it's going through Westminster now, without that long detour south of the river. Still has a weird detour around Trafalgar Square though, which took forever to get through. And gee, to finish off the evening.. the final stop was closed (for roadworks), and I needs must get off at the one before, and walk. Took me an hour and a half to get home. And with a meeting scheduled for this morning, I had to be in early - so no blogging last night.

The meeting - as with the one after it - was cancelled in the end. Of course. Now begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. Tonight, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House. Which, blessedly, I can walk to.

Tomorrow, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On Friday, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand at the Slug & Lettuce. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they have now, predictably, sold out.

On the 29th, I'm trying to persuade the social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun.. I've booked, at least, and a couple of others have indicated they'll come.

On the 30th, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

For Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

On the 1st, meeting Ivan.. he's away most of the time till then, and I'm busy the rest of the time!

And on the 2nd, I've booked with Best Authentic Walking Tours in London, for a Royal Maritime Greenwich Ghost Tour. Now, this is - as with all their walks - with Funzing, so I can get a refund up to 48 hours beforehand. Which I'll probably do (have, in fact, done for this twice already), as I might go to a film that day - depending what's on - or, if I don't like the offerings, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is off to Blood Wedding, a new adaptation of the Lorca play, at the Young Vic. But I now see that's sold out - was bound to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment