Thursday 31 October 2019

Storytelling: Witch

For Hallowe'enThe Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago. I needed some distraction, with the ongoing techie problems on my mother's side, her trying to manage her new tablet n all. Turns out it's mostly 3's fault - what a surprise!

I finished something at work (finally!), and dashed out the door - trotting when I saw the bus stopped at the lights, then spent ages waiting, wondering where on earth it had gotten to. It arrived eventually - I caught it five minutes earlier than Google Maps said I should. Which was a good thing, or I'd have arrived late - well, technically, because of course they didn't start on time. Getting off the bus, I saw two groups of kids trick r treating - which was lovely! It's not every area they do it in - obviously, Dalston has that welcoming feel.

Arriving at the pub, I was lucky to run into someone who worked there - yes, the "poetry", as he called it, was upstairs, a band downstairs. I made my way carefully upstairs - without lighting - running into Sarah Liisa Wilkinson at the door! And as I perused the place, looking in vain for a free seat, I ran into Nell Phoenix as well - in fact, Lonan Jenkins checked my ticket. He wasn't actually performing, for once. (Ladies' night, I guess.) It was quickly apparent that they'd sold more tickets than they had seats - I was very lucky to get one in the front, when Sarah Liisa, who was MCing, pointed it out. It wasn't that comfy, but hey - I mean, there were people sitting on the floor, and some standing. To be fair, the seating was eclectic, a mix of sofas, chairs et al, so it would've been hard to estimate capacity. And it was sold out, BTW.

The music downstairs was audible - but unlike all those Funzing talks I've been to, in rooms over pubs, it wasn't really an issue here. The atmosphere was cosy, with rugs on the ceiling and cobwebs along the windows. And we started with Nell..


...who had a most excellent story about useful witchcraft. This was followed by that excellent pair whose names I can never remember, but they are so good..



..with a dystopian tale of a future where mindfulness and recycling are to the fore of human society. More a story of a woman that breaks the mould, this one. And the night was finished by a classical tale from Sarah Liisa. Gee, I never knew that Hecate was involved in the story of Demeter and Persephone!



The musical accompaniment, BTW, was terrific. A great way to spend Hallowe'en - one of the best I've had! (Despite the uncomfortable seat). I left straight afterwards - just in time for a bus. And wow, it was fun on the way home, with all the people who'd dressed up for Hallowe'en parties - there was a guy with a skull face, accompanied by a guy in 17th-century costume; there was a trio of ladies en route to a party, sat by me, who'd gone to terrible pains about their outfits. D' you know, it was worth going out on Hallowe'en, just to see them all! (Dressing up isn't my thing, but I do appreciate it when others make the effort.)

Tomorrow, meeting Ivan, at a friend's house. It'll be a late one. Good chance to blow off steam.

And on Saturday, I booked with Best Authentic Walking Tours in London, for a Royal Maritime Greenwich Ghost Tour. Now, this is - as with all their walks - with Funzing, so I can get a refund up to 48 hours beforehand. Which I knew I'd probably do (have, in fact, done for this twice already), as I might have gone to a film that day - depending what was on - or, if I didn't like the offerings, Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff is off to Blood Wedding, a new adaptation of the Lorca play, at the Young Vic. But that since sold out - was bound to happen. Well, I finally did come up with an alternative that made me cancel the ghost tour - another ghost tour! specifically, of the British Museum, with Spooky London. I mean, technically I could probably go to both - I just couldn't be bothered rushing the first to traipse all the way out to Greenwich, for an event that wouldn't be at all sociable! Might get on that walk some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment