Saturday 12 October 2019

Play: Solaris

Today, saw the matinee of Solaris at the Lyric Hammersmith. Turned out that both Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) and Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff (LLTAMS) were going - so I booked with both! Why not? Each requires you to buy your own ticket. And with only a few going from LLTAMS, I hoped we could merge.. Ivan was talking about possibly meeting up this evening, but then realised he had a train booked for tomorrow morning, so we have to reschedule.

Went to sleep early enough to have a much-needed lie-in. Heading this far out, Tube was the only reasonable option - and this time, the Central Line was quiet, while the Piccadilly Line was packed. Still got a seat, though! And given how it was chucking it down outside - and potential Extinction Rebellion protests - I was glad to be underground:



A short walk to the theatre - they didn't have my ticket printed out, but did manage to find my booking and printed one out on the spot. And then I headed up to the cafe bar, where a slice of very lemony lemon drizzle cake and a large glass of white constituted brunch. Once I'd fought my way through all the families - there'd been a kids' show earlier. No sign of anyone else from my groups - although one from UITCS did come right after me, and we grabbed a table near the entrance and eventually gathered together a couple more, and we had a friendly chat before going in. Both organisers messaged to say they'd been delayed - both other Tube lines through Hammersmith are closed today for engineering works, and others probably delayed. Anyway, when we saw another from the group heading in, we did the same.



I was at the end of Row C - which had been supposed to be the front row for this production, until they decided they could fit another in front of it. They were kind enough to ask us whether we'd like to move forward, but nobody did - indeed, we were slightly too close as it was! and it didn't help that the first scene had a little girl sitting on the floor at the rear of the stage, whom we practically couldn't see at all. I had visions of a repeat of the dreadful front row for The Starry Messenger - but never mind, the view wasn't as bad as that in general. Having the end seat was lovely too, as there was none in front of me, so I could stretch out as much as I pleased!

Nice to see the UITCS organiser made it just in time - I don't think the LLTAMS organiser made it at all! I didn't see her all afternoon, and she never messaged again, after saying she'd be delayed. I didn't know the other person going from that group, or where she was supposed to be sitting, although she might have been the one who came up to our group at the interval, but didn't stay. Ah well, never mind.

This is based on a book, which was also made into a couple of films, both of which I think I've seen - but that was years ago. In short, a scientist is sent to relieve a longterm space mission, from whom no-one's heard in a while - and arrives at the space station to find something like chaos. One scientist has died, and the others are jumpy - they seem to be receiving "visitors" in the form of thoughts and dreams they have, which have come to life. The relief scientist is soon plagued by visitations from a dead ex-lover..

There's a feeling of serenity about the production. The book, apparently, is characterised by long introspective pieces - coming across on film as slow passages. On stage, we get a pure white set - cleverly (something we could do with in flats cramped for space), everything folds into the walls, panels slide back and forth to reveal or obscure doors. All allowing the play to change rooms. Someone at work was wondering how outer space would be represented - well, it seems the planet (Solaris) changes colour - blue and red, on alternating days. When the viewing panels are opened, the rooms are flooded with either red or blue light. That's as much outer space as this story needs!

The whole plot of the thing is trying to determine what the nature of the planet is. By the time the relief scientist arrives, they've pretty much decided that the planet is sending these manifestations to them - they started as inanimate objects, then half-formed "monsters" - finally, fully formed humans. Or humanoids. They can't really get rid of them, and they're convinced that they're not really human. The relief scientist's "visitor" is the first that can actually speak.. but what are the visitors' motives?

The interesting part of the story is the different scientists' differing reactions - from openly hostile to gradually accepting. And it provided a real talking-point afterwards, when we discussed why that might be, and what the nature of the planet might be. So, very much more on the cerebral side than the action-adventure side of science-fiction. But then, that's the joy of sci-fi - it offers limitless opportunities for authors to create whatever realities they want, play out whatever scenarios they want. And so, the story had to send a group of people millions of miles into space, to act out a scenario where they had to confront their deepest feelings. Literally look them in the face - or run from them. Recommended - runs till the 2nd. Pity they weren't clearer about what happens in the final scene, though!

Heading for Tesco afterwards to buy dinner, I passed an open Wasabi.. so that was dinner sorted then, without the washing up! Sauce a little stodgier than my usual, but still good. Oh, and it's still lashing rain outside, as I write.

Tomorrow, joining the London Improvisation Community Group for the first time - they have a show called Happily Never After at the Pleasance - part of the London Horror Festival. I see someone from UITCS does workshops with them! Don't think she's appearing in this, though.

On Monday, I'm seeing Mother of Him, at the Park. I see North London Friends is going to this a bit later, and already raving about it..

On Tuesday, UITCS is off to the Albert Hall for Symphonic Queen - the Royal Philharmonic is performing Queen.

Then begins a long period of non-Meetup stuff. On Wednesday, I'm heading to the ballet Manon, at the Opera House.

On Thursday, the Crick Crack Club (CCC) is back at Rich Mix, with MelusineTUUP is the headliner on this occasion, which should be terrific!

On Friday, Helen's in town, heading to a Midge Ure concert at the Palladium - we're meeting for dinner beforehand at the Slug & Lettuce. Now, that's the day I should be flying back to Ireland - so I'm going the next day instead. And with my mother's birthday during the week - and not having any major holidays booked - I said, why not just take the week off and spend it in Ireland? So I am.

On the 28th, the CCC is back again - Ben Haggarty is in Soho Theatre with Grim Grimms - a dark take on fairytales, highlighting four lesser-known tales of the brothers Grimm. With musical accompaniment. Tickets weren't available when I noted this in my calendar - they are now, and will likely sell out - indeed, I see availability is now limited.

On the 29th, I'm trying to persuade the social group from my former company to come with me to a Design My Night event - Fright Night Cinema is showing Hallowe'en in the Rivoli ballroom, with a themed cocktail bar and people dressed in spooky costumes. Now, that sounds like fun.. I've booked, at least, and a couple of others have indicated they'll come.

On the 30th, back with Meetup at last - UITCS is at a mixed programme by Birmingham Royal Ballet, at Sadler's Wells. I've seen part of it before, and it's excellent.

For Hallowe'en, The Embers Collective stepped up to the plate, with a storytelling performance called Witch, at The Jago.

On the 1st, that rescheduled meeting with Ivan.. he's away most of the time till then, and I'm busy the rest of the time!

And on the 2nd, I've booked with Best Authentic Walking Tours in London, for a Royal Maritime Greenwich Ghost Tour. Now, this is - as with all their walks - with Funzing, so I can get a refund up to 48 hours beforehand. Which I'll probably do (have, in fact, done for this twice already), as I might go to a film that day - depending what's on - or, if I don't like the offerings, LLTAMS is off to Blood Wedding, a new adaptation of the Lorca play, at the Young Vic. By 'eck, though, I see there's already limited availability on tickets for the whole run, and several dates sold out! Hope I don't lose out..

No comments:

Post a Comment