Wednesday 22 January 2020

Comedy: Hench

Last night, back for another comedy show at Soho Theatre - this time, it was Hench, by Jessica Fostekew. Started a little bit later than some, so I was still in the office when my boss rescheduled this morning's meeting for half an hour earlier. Knowing that, if he did it this morning, I wouldn't be in yet. Wise fellow. Anyway, just as well I was still in, to get the message.

Google Maps seems to have given up on the 8, with its route limitations - instead, it sent me on a trek to Clerkenwell, where - by dint of a traffic delay - I just arrived at the same time as my bus. Lovely. And on the way in, we were entertained by constant announcements that - like all Routemasters - this is going to be front-boarding only. From Saturday. It'll be an inconvenience, but there was so much fare-dodging that there was no alternative.

Arrived in good time, and picked up my ticket from the box office - looking forward to the promised advent of e-tickets. Again, I had to give my old postcode - which I took care to memorise in anticipation. Even though I'd deleted it from the system, this was still the one I had to quote! And even though I booked this show long after I'd moved. I did mention it to the person behind the desk - perhaps they'll fix it one day.

This show was in the downstairs bar, and for once I was early enough to grab a drink. NB Queueing for the bar is from the right, and is a v good idea, what with the crowd. If you're looking for the wine list, it's on the back of the list of other beverages. Mind you, I was to be sorry I'd bothered, what with trying to manage everything I had to carry, with just two hands, in a limited space.

I always pick that seat, if it's free - H5 is near the back, but it's a small room and the view is perfect, slightly elevated, with no seat in front. I was just settled nicely when the comedian came on - and started by explaining the meaning of the word "hench". Never heard it before myself - anyway, it kind of means well-built, muscular. And aside from the obligatory stories of family life, most of her set consisted of her description of her experience with weightlifting, and how she tends to be described as "hench" herself. Which - despite her feminist credentials - she has had trouble finding flattering.

Ah, she's terrific! A couple of things in particular stood out for me - firstly, she does marvellous impressions. From growling her henchness one minute, the next she's impersonating her ultra-feminine mother (whom her friends nicknamed "Galadriel" because she seemed to float everywhere). Secondly, her feminist credentials are impeccable - her fitness-centred routine is tied into a tirade against diets (with their 97% failure rate), and a blistering polemic against a society that forces this on women. Cue, for example, a blow against Weight Watchers, who apparently rebranded themselves as "WW". Which can also be read as "Wellness Works" - as quoted on the website. So now, they're apparently marketing themselves as a wellness company - which means they can market to children. Oh yeah, this is a woman on a mission! Truly excellent show, strongly recommended for those with a feminist bent. Runs till Saturday, but only limited tickets available for Saturday, and sold out in the meantime.


Afterwards, I had to change buses - and had a long wait in between, but it's not as cold as it was, so wasn't too bad. And of course, I had that meeting this morning - which actually happened, for once! (late). So I didn't have time to blog last night.

Tonight, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for a preview of Aisha and Abhaya, at the Linbury Theatre - apparently a new venue for the Opera House. My first time there. And I'm told I have to head downstairs from the ground floor bar, because it's in the basement. (There's a ground-floor bar?) Just as well I thought to check this morning whether that was one of the physical tickets they sent me - which they tend to do, every now and again. Or I'd have come out without it. Annoying.

I hadn't anything definite booked for tomorrow - which turned out to be for the best, as The Embers Collective has finally published their New Year's schedule! Very late notice - I swear this wasn't up till last Thursday. They have a show tomorrow, called Wild Beasts, in Cafe Cairo - and I've booked. Tickets, as usual, from Design My Night. I just hope I don't have a repeat of the last time I tried to get there, when the Tubes were down..

And on Friday, I've booked for the Troy: Myth and Reality exhibition at the British Museum. Should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment