Tuesday 28 January 2020

Comedy: Imagination

Tonight, I was back for more comedy at Soho Theatre - this time, it was Alfie Brown. And a late start, which meant I was once again one of the last to leave the office. Guess I'll never achieve the accolade of being last out! Anyway, it's just as well I left a little early for the show - because I decided on the #8 bus, and forgot that it has a shorter route these days, due to roadworks, duh!

Well, I got there in time, and gee, for once they had the right postcode for me - now that I've deleted the old one from their system! (I have to state my postcode to collect the ticket.) Went straight downstairs - and as I took my things to my seat, I noted how empty the room was: the emptiest I've ever seen it, to be honest. I decided to get a drink before the show started - but blast it, the comedian had been chatting among the audience and took that moment to take the stage, and immediately the blinds went up on the bar. Seriously?! I've never seen bar staff so happy to turn away business - and you'd think, with such a poor turnout, they'd have welcomed it. It's not as though they didn't have time - people were coming in for several minutes after.

Anyway, as I returned to my seat, the usher offered me the chance to come forward - the centre section wasn't full, even with everyone moved from the edges. So I did - although I kind of wish I hadn't; the chairs in the middle are hard plastic and not that comfortable, unlike the upholstered seats at the edges. Ah well, I got a seat that was - well, £2 more expensive than what I'd paid for. Whoopee.


Well, this was an odd show. Started off so slowly that I have to wonder whether he was for real - I know some of his downbeat, self-deprecating demeanour is for show, but this just seemed scatty, all over the place. No wonder it took the audience so long to warm to him - and he did mention how hard he was having to work with us. Indeed, it took him so long to warm up that he ran over by half an hour, even while rushing his set! Frankly, I've never seen a comedian whose heart seemed so little in it.

Which is a pity, because when he did get his teeth into the material, he was hilarious. The theme of this show is "crowds" - and I loved his description of going to a Liverpool match. Even though I'm not really a sports fan - mostly, it was about his interaction with scousers anyway: and his observations are spot on. Still, throughout the show he spent much of his time trying to be antagonistic and rather failing. Peculiar really - I'm not sure this show is finished. Hey-ho, runs till Saturday if you want to check for yourself.

On the way home, the #8 was the only suggestion that Google Maps had - ignoring the fact that I had to go all the way to Procter Street for it. Well, I didn't feel like walking all the way there - particularly not in today's biting wind. Happily, the #98 filled in the distance between me and where I could pick up the #8 - which, contrary to my bus app's predictions, came pretty much straight away. And, of course, the Hopper fare meant I didn't have to pay any extra for taking an extra bus. Best thing that Sadiq Khan ever did!

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, for the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! at the Bridge Theatre. I absolutely loved the Chronicles of Narnia when I was a kid - let's see how this matches up!

Again, I was to be happy I hadn't anything booked for Thursday, when Eleanor from the London European Club (LEC) (and World Music Meetup) advertised a flamenco concert - I'm a sucker for flamenco. So I've booked for that - this time, it's in City Hope Church. Tickets, as usual, from Tuned In London - and as the lady says, on the eve of Brexit, we need something European.. Must remember to bring cash for the bar.

Then I'm back in Ireland for the weekend. Ironically, the other day I was messaged by a Bulgarian fellow, who said he'll be in London for a few days from Friday, and could I recommend some social events to him?! Took a while to give him a shortlist.. and another while to split up all the links, because Meetup thought my messages were spam.

On Monday, I'm back with the LEC (how appropriate that they should bookmark Brexit for me! completely coincidental on my part) for an organ concert at the Royal Festival Hall.

And next Tuesday, I'm finally doing something with the folks from work - every now and then they have pop-up social events, and this time it's a pub quiz. So I can see whether all those tv quiz shows have helped! Taking place at The Castle pub, not far from the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment