Wednesday 15 January 2020

Comedy: Tarot

Last night, more comedy - this time, in Soho TheatreTarot is a sketch show based around a live tarot reading. What's not to love..?!

It's on quite late - which gave me my first chance to try out staying late in the new office. Not quite the last to leave.. but I did manage to outstay the boss, which is a good look! Not to mention getting some work done. Still headed off in good time. Just as well, as I'd forgotten that bus route 8 is curtailed because of roadworks, and now starts and finishes at Holborn Station - well, it still took me far enough to cut down on enough of my walk to make it worthwhile.

Now, this is the first of lots of shows I've booked in Soho Theatre for the next few months - and wouldn't you know it, the website played silly buggers with me again when I was booking, and took my old billing address. I guess I'll have to remember that in future - I couldn't remember the old postcode, but she let me in with the first line of the address. Happens a lot here.

Happily, the house just opened as I arrived - I didn't fancy hanging around the overcrowded bar. Upstairs, we were asked to fill from the front - the show does involve the spillage of various substances, but even at front row centre, I didn't get anything on me. Three performers - and the "tarot reading" consists of the audience picking a card from 1 to 9, which represents a tarot card; two or three of the performers then perform a sketch around that card. Whole thing lasts about an hour - they don't manage to get through all the cards.

I liked it. It's not perfect, and some parts are downright silly, but there are some really good ideas here, and some laugh-out loud moments. And the ending plays out rather well. Runs till Saturday, and there are worse ways to spend an hour. Hey, I see Soho Theatre is starting an on demand service, where you can watch shows online! So soon, I guess you can see these shows from all over..!

I had some fun getting home afterwards - seems Storm Brendan is reluctant to leave. The wind was so strong as I headed for the bus that I was literally blown along the road! Had to hang onto the edge of an ATM for dear life until the gust died down - then when it blew up again, I had to brace myself against a window, and finally catch onto a door handle. Mercifully, it stopped after that. And so much for my bus only starting at Holborn Station - seems it starts a bit closer, from Bloomsbury. Hey-ho, I managed to get home eventually, and nestled among the skyscrapers as I am, it's much quieter.

Ran too late to blog, last night - I had to get to bed (theoretically) for this morning's meeting. The one that was cancelled, as usual. Tonight, back with Meetup at last. Civilised London (CL) is back to dinner at Little Georgia, and naturally, so am I. Meeting at The Crown beforehand. The weather is supposed to improve as the day goes on..

Tomorrow is going to be film as well - which is where Knives Out comes in. No question I was going to see it - it was just a question of which to see first! This is a classic, drawing-room murder mystery. Daniel Craig is the detective, hired to investigate the murder of Christopher PlummerJamie Lee Curtis is the deceased's daughter, married to Don JohnsonToni Collette is the deceased's daughter-in-law. Each as horrid as the last.. and I booked it, because the closest showing is in the Vue Islington, and Vue are apparently cheaper online. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday, back with CL for another jazz night at Wilton's. This time, it's Uri Sade.

On Tuesday, back for another comedy show at Soho Theatre - this time, it's Hench, by Jessica Fostekew.

And next Wednesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for a preview of Aisha and Abhaya, at the Linbury Theatre - apparently a new venue for the Opera House. My first time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment