Thursday 9 January 2020

Film: Little Women

For today, I decided on film - and joint top of the list were Le Mans '66 (aka Ford v Ferrari) and Little Women. Not being a motor racing fan (although the film is supposed to be good), I decided on Little Women - I did love the book, and reports of the film were excellent. It's the story of a family of sisters growing up in rural Massachusetts in the Civil War era.
  • Nominated for a Golden Globe for her performance (although she didn't get it), Saoirse Ronan plays Jo, the literary sister, who's now writing a book about them all. 
  • Emma Watson is Meg, the eldest, who follows the most conventional path of being a wife and mother. 
  • Florence Pugh, last seen in Midsommar, plays Amy, the youngest, who becomes an artist. 
  • Laura Dern plays the mother. 
  • Timothée Chalamet plays the boy next door, Laurie, who falls in love with Jo first, then Amy. 
  • James Norton is Laurie's tutor and Meg's future husband.
  • Meryl Streep is the rich aunt who funds Amy's artistic ambitions.
So, a star-studded cast, and what promised to be an excellent production. Showing in two screens in the Barbican, the early showing was moved to Screen 1 when it started to book heavily, and that's the one I went to. Finally booked my ticket just today, when it showed as over half booked.

I had to leave the office early, but that's no bad thing - and so much for knowing my way to this screen, I spent minutes waiting for the lift down from the lobby before realising that those don't take you all the way down! no, you have to go downstairs, across the lane, and take the lifts down from there. Well, I still made it before the lights went down - and before most of the audience. Unfortunately, most of those who had arrived by that time were sitting in my row, for me to squeeze past! Pretty much the whole place duly filled - it's a long time since I've been in a cinema so full. Or so noisy - I could barely hear the ads or the trailers! Mercifully, they quietened down once the lights went down.

I think they've managed to capture the essence of the book. If you like the one, I'm quite confident you'll like the other. Assuming you're one of the fans of the book then, this is a terrific film. It looks absolutely gorgeous - there's an old-fashioned tint to many of the scenes, and we're treated to some gorgeous views of the Massachusetts countryside: light, airy beach scenes, beautiful scenes of multicoloured foliage in the fall, snowy scenes with frozen lakes. Horse-drawn carriages drive people around, 19th century gowns and capes swish, and there's one ball scene to keep everyone happy, full of colourful ballgowns. Characters are unfailingly polite, and when Jo opens her school at the end, no-one doubts that it'll be a terrific success - she hasn't the rebellious students of today to deal with, with their sense of entitlement.

It's sweet and it's sassy - just like the book. The characters are all quite distinct - the headstrong Jo, recognisable as a woman before her time, ready to go out in the world and make her fortune, and happier to stay single: the kindly Meg: Amy, who starts out self-absorbed, but in the end, realises what's truly important, while delivering a very astute speech on the implications of marriage for women in that time. Poor Beth, who of course falls ill..

I just melted, it's so touching.. but also packed with humour, and always emphasising the great love they all have for each other. The action shifts back and forth over a period of seven years, Jo remembering events as she comes to write her book, which is slightly confusing - but not overly so. Nope, I adored it - so should you. And I swear, as the credits rolled, there were people near me who nearly applauded. Highly recommended, for fans of the book.

Best thing coming up for tomorrow was with my second cheap ticket club, "CT" - I'm headed to Soho Cinders, a gay, musical take on Cinderella, playing at the Charing Cross Theatre. Should be fun. Only thing is, booking things with CT is so stressful - all the dire warnings about all the things that can get you permanently banned from the club! Thou shalt not cancel without at least three hours' notice.. thou shalt not cancel any of thy first six bookings.. (no exceptions).. thou shalt not be a no-show (we check!).. thou shalt book something at least every three months.. honestly, it sounds as though, if you do anything wrong, they come around and beat you up!

Ivan wants to meet on Saturday - but he's not sure he can make it, in which case I'll be thinking of film. Watch this space.

And on Sunday, back with CT - this one booked before tomorrow's, to make the three-month rule. I'm going to the Clapham Comedy Club at the Bread & Roses. Crumbs, it's ages since I've been there! And this is the first of a lot of comedy gigs I've booked over the next few months..

No comments:

Post a Comment