Sunday 26 January 2020

Tap Dance Jam Session

Tonight, London European Club (LEC) was staying pretty local (to me) - they were headed to a tap dance jam session in Gigi's in Hoxton. And so did I. It was my first event of the year with them.. Tickets from Design My Night again, and cheaper in advance.

Close enough to walk - but a miserable day for it, cold and rainy.



Never mind, I made it in the end - right on Hoxton Square, Gigi's is apparently under new ownership, with a new name. The guy on the door asked whether I was there for the tap.. and when I confirmed this, he told me to head to the bar on that level first, for a drink. So that's what I did, then checked my name off the list, and made my way downstairs - where we'd secured a table, to the rear, and with a decent view of the stage. Nice choice! The floor directly in front of the stage was also scattered with cushions, which people occupied as the night wore on - there was a nice, relaxed vibe to the place in general.

First there was an improv class, which two of our members joined: and what a great idea, to try it out in a safe space, with no obligation to perform afterwards. Although a lady did carry a list around, for those that wanted to. Some nifty moves, from our group members as well as others, at this point!



And finally, the show proper began, with hot moves and cool jazz. The MC was looking swell, in red top hat and shoes:



And we were treated to some really excellent dancers, and a few outstanding singers. Good age mix as well. Cool vibe, as I say, a fun and catchy way to spend a Sunday evening. And when one of the dancers won a prize of a bag of sweets, she very kindly came around to distribute them among the audience!




Awesome - who doesn't love jazz? Runs the last Sunday of every second month - very highly recommended. And it's great to be back with the group again!

Now.. tomorrow is promising to be film. And top of the list is.. 1917. Now, I know I said I'm not into war films. But then I heard reviews from a couple of people who say the same - and they say it's awesome, and not like any war film they've seen before. So I think I'm kind of obliged to see it. Co-written and directed by Sam Mendes, it stars Colin Firth as the general, the delectable Andrew Scott as the lieutenant, and Benedict Cumberbatch as the particularly obnoxious colonel, in a tale of two lads, sent on a suicide mission across no-man's-land, to deliver a message to a forward battalion not to attack, because they're walking into a trap. Stunning camerawork apparently, made to look as though it was all done in one take. Showing, conveniently, in the street-level cinemas at the Barbican - I'll try for the earlier showing, which isn't yet booking out - I'll keep an eye on it.

On Tuesday, I'm back for more comedy at Soho Theatre - this time, it's Alfie Brown.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, for the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! at the Bridge Theatre. I absolutely loved the Chronicles of Narnia when I was a kid - let's see how this matches up!

Again, I was to be happy I hadn't anything booked for Thursday, when Eleanor from the LEC (and World Music Meetup) advertised a flamenco concert - I'm a sucker for flamenco. So I've booked for that - this time, it's in City Hope Church. Tickets, as usual, from Tuned In London - and as the lady says, on the eve of Brexit, we need something European.. Must remember to bring cash for the bar.

Then I'm back in Ireland for the weekend. Ironically, today I was messaged by a Bulgarian fellow, who said he'll be in London for a few days from Friday, and could I recommend some social events to him?! Took a while to give him a shortlist..

On the 3rd, I'm back with the LEC (how appropriate that they should bookmark Brexit for me! completely coincidental on my part) for an organ concert at the Royal Festival Hall.

And on the 4th, I'm finally doing something with the folks from work - every now and then they have pop-up social events, and this time it's a pub quiz. So I can see whether all those tv quiz shows have helped! Taking place at The Castle pub, not far from the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment