Thursday 9 January 2020

Play: Measure for Measure

Last night, the RSC's production of Measure for Measure, at the Barbican. Set in decadent 1900s Vienna. Much less far to walk - and I'm lovely and close in the new office! (Ironically, at lunchtime yesterday I got a ticket offer for this from my new cheap ticket outlet - let's call them CT.) Naturally, I made it in time - and was inconveniently sent around the other side, to "theatre right". Which isn't nearly as convenient, as the entrance is less obvious - you have to go downstairs! Well, once in, I had to climb more stairs to the Upper Circle.. except there was a lady at the foot of the stairs, brandishing a pile of tickets, and upgrading the lady who'd come in ahead of me! Ooh, I said, is there one for me? Of course! she said - so we both ended up headed downstairs, where we were sat in the rear stalls:


I then noticed that half the row was empty.. so over I went to the middle! She didn't bother - up to her. A lot of empty seats last night in general, obviously.


The setting is a good idea - it fits the play and the language quite well. The story concerns a Duke who's taking a few days off, and leaves his virtuous deputy in charge. Next thing we know, however, he's laying down the law, closing the brothels and imprisoning the workers there. And he's sentenced a young man to death for getting a woman pregnant, outside of wedlock! Things take a turn for the worse when his sister, a novice nun, pleads clemency, and he promises to spare her brother's life.. if she will sleep with him! Well now.

Can't say I liked it that much. The Duke, mind you, is excellent - with a nice comic touch, disturbed from his few days' respite to discover that his deputy isn't all that he hoped. And the acting, in general, is spot on - as you'd expect from the RSC. I liked the staging, with a projected backdrop that tells you exactly where each scene is set. But.. it's a bit dry. In particular, the novice just annoyed me - I know she's fighting for her chastity, but honestly, she just comes across as shrill and preachy. And how the duke ends up wanting to marry her (SPOILER!) is, frankly, beyond me. I'd run a mile myself. Anyway, runs till next Thursday.

It ran too late last night to blog. For today, I decided on film - and joint top of the list were Le Mans '66 (aka Ford v Ferrari) and Little Women. Not being a motor racing fan (although the film is supposed to be good), I decided on Little Women - I did love the book, and reports of the film are excellent. It's the story of a family of sisters growing up in rural Massachusetts in the Civil War era.

  • Nominated for a Golden Globe for her performance (although she didn't get it), Saoirse Ronan plays Jo, the literary sister, who's now writing a book about them all. 
  • Emma Watson is Meg, the eldest, who follows the most conventional path of being a wife and mother. 
  • Florence Pugh, last seen in Midsommar, plays Amy, the youngest, who becomes an artist. 
  • Laura Dern plays the mother. 
  • Timothée Chalamet plays the boy next door, who falls in love with Amy. 
  • James Norton is Meg's future husband.
  • Meryl Streep is the rich aunt who funds Amy's artistic ambitions.
So, a star-studded cast, and what should be an excellent production. Showing in two screens in the Barbican, the early showing was moved to Screen 1 when it started to book heavily, and that's the one I'm going to. Finally booked my ticket just today, when it showed as over half booked.

Best thing coming up for tomorrow was with CT - I'm headed to Soho Cinders, a gay, musical take on Cinderella, playing at the Charing Cross Theatre. Should be fun. Only thing is, booking things with CT is so stressful - all the dire warnings about all the things that can get you permanently banned from the club! Thou shalt not cancel without at least three hours' notice.. thou shalt not cancel any of thy first six bookings.. (no exceptions).. thou shalt not be a no-show (we check!).. thou shalt book something at least every three months.. honestly, it sounds as though, if you do anything wrong, they come around and beat you up!

Ivan wants to meet on Saturday - but he's not sure he can make it, in which case I'll be thinking of film. Watch this space.

And on Sunday, back with CT - this one booked before tomorrow's, to make the three-month rule. I'm going to the Clapham Comedy Club at the Bread & Roses. Crumbs, it's ages since I've been there!


No comments:

Post a Comment