Saturday 11 January 2020

Johann Strauss Gala

Ivan wanted to meet today - but in the end he wasn't sure he could make it, what with drinks planned with the company he's soon to be leaving, in Oxford. So I did my own thing, and thought of film again. Now, once I'd excised all the films at the top of the list that I just wouldn't be interested in - war films, for instance, and Le Mans '66 - the top film was something called Cep Herkülü: Naim Süleymanoglu. Based on the true story of an ethnic Turkish weightlifter born in Bulgaria, who defected to Turkey during the Communist Party's rule in Bulgaria, it does look interesting. However, it's only showing in the Odeon Lee Valley, at 10pm. Which sounds like too much hassle.

The London European Club was heading to a tarantella concert, which I'd be interested in, but that PERSON was attending (regular readers might remember her). So I wasn't. Then I saw that London International Meetup was headed to a "surprise" classical concert at the Royal Festival Hall this afternoon. Heh, it didn't take too much detective work to figure out that they were off to the Johann Strauss Gala! Popular favourites, with dancers in period costume - yes, that sounded nice. Unfortunately, their cheap tickets were already sold out, of course - and sure enough, my cheap ticket company, CT, was selling them too, which is probably where the organiser got his. Which he then sold on at a profit - well, it's a great business model. CT was also sold out of tickets for it, when I looked. Never mind, I booked myself a full-price ticket - it took forever to find the cheapest though, since they don't give any indication of price until you select a seat! I booked in the balcony, but I've been upgraded here before, and there were tons of empty seats.. so I might have got lucky.

Was up late, but got just about enough sleep, and after a bitterly cold wait for the bus, made it in good time. I was on the opposite side from the singing lift, but made a special trip to the other side of the building, specifically to ride in it. So it was a great disappointment to hear it not sing! I wasn't the only one, either. Aww..! Neither did I get an upgrade - no, it turned out the balcony was quite heavily booked after all, and I had to schlep all the way up to the second row from the back - which led to problems coming down, later, with my fear of steps. Hey-ho, the view was decent:



The guy beside me had a terrible habit of chewing his nails. Constantly, and noisily. Mercifully, he and his companion moved into the nearly-empty row in front of us for the second half, this saving me from strangling him. And otherwise, it was excellent - although I have to admit to having trouble staying awake. It's been a tiring week, and the seats there are so comfy, and I was in the back, in the dark, and the music was so soothing and familiar..

Very much reminiscent of the New Year's Day concert from Vienna, as shown on the telly, this covered all the highlights - and after the first piece, the dancers were brought on. Appropriately - after all, this music begs to be danced to. They even had a soprano, for the odd aria. And of course, every time the ladies went off stage, they came back on wearing a different outfit. Very pretty, very classic. They saved the Blue Danube to the end, and with only three gentlemen dancers, three lady dancers, and the soprano wanting a turn on the dance floor as well - why, the orchestra conductor did the honours! A most pleasant way to spend the afternoon. I didn't try to meet with the others - I only met the organiser once, years ago, and never met any of the other attendees.

Afterwards, I was hungry - Google Maps directed me to Cote, but after a long queue in the cold wind, I discovered that they were so heavily booked that I'd be waiting for hours! Nuts to that. Continuing in my search, I discovered there was a Ping Pong down the way - so I went there, and was seated in minutes. Service was delightfully efficient, despite the crowds. And what I had was uniformly delicious! Prawn crackers with a spicy sauce, duck spring rolls with a delicious hoisin sauce, char siu buns, chicken and cashew nut dumplings.. I thought they were the highlight until I had the seasonal praline ice cream dessert! Yum. Very good choice. And with the freezing wind blowing up outside, I was glad my bus didn't take long!

And tomorrow, I'm back with CT - this one booked before yesterday's, to make the three-month rule. Before they changed the rule, so you now only have to book once per year. Would've been nice to have been told that. Anyway, I'm going to the Clapham Comedy Club at the Bread & Roses. Crumbs, it's ages since I've been there! And this is the first of a lot of comedy gigs I've booked over the next few months..

No comments:

Post a Comment