Sunday 12 January 2020

Clapham Comedy Club

Tonight, I was back with my new cheap tickets outlet, CT - this one booked before Friday's, to make the three-month rule. Before they changed the rule, so you now only have to book once per year. Would've been nice to have been told that. Anyway, I went to the Clapham Comedy Club at the Bread & Roses. (Their ticket allocation for this duly sold out.) Crumbs, it's ages since I've been there! And this is the first of a lot of comedy gigs I've booked over the next few months..

As usual, I fancied a KFC for brunch, and had my usual. Crikey though, even in the Bishopsgate branch, I don't think I've ever seen it so busy - kudos to the serving staff for processing the orders as though they were a conveyor belt. Delivery of the order was also exceptionally quick - I just about had time to collect my drink, a straw, and napkins.

This time, the upstairs seating area was open - unfortunately, when I went up there, the only free table was absolutely littered with the bones and bits from a bucket meal. I found a fairly clean corner to sit at, and used one of my napkins to wipe the spill on the seat. I'm certainly not blaming the staff behind the counter, who were working flat-out - but couldn't they have spared one person to clean up the mess? Of course, mainly to blame were the slovenly pigs who left it that way. A group of tourists to the side glanced sympathetically in my direction as I sat - it was too disgusting for me to clear it myself, and there was a ton of it. When they left, it's worth mentioning that they took their mess with them.

Apart from that, my meal was as tasty as ever - apart from the side order of beans, which were congealed and burnt. I didn't finish them. And when I took my mess away with me - it was to find an overflowing bin. Seriously, they cannot continue like this. I've reported them to the Food Standards Agency - the place is usually a tip, but today took the biscuit.

Well, I had a relaxing afternoon, and headed off in good time. I discovered that a combination of buses would get me there in under an hour, so that's what I did - the ever-reliable #344 actually stops right outside my house! I took that to Vauxhall, then the #88 to within walking distance of the pub - and they made very good time. I was also glad that they came quite quickly - today saw a bitter breeze that convinced us all we're right back in the depths of winter.

Some confusion in the pub, where just as I arrived (early!), the guy was ringing a bell and calling out that the house was open, and the performance would begin shortly. ("Not that shortly!") I thought to myself. Anyway, he checked off my name and I said I'd just get a drink first. As I waited for the apparently exhausted barmaid to get my drink (with no customers to speak of, I have to wonder whether she was suffering the after-effects of the night before), I overheard him explain to someone that no, this was for a play, and the comedy was in the room at the back - they obviously made the same mistake I did! So I mooched around the door to the back room, which wasn't open yet. Jeez, I guess someone with the same name must've been signed up for the play - I hope she got in!

It wasn't too long before the door to the back room was opened, my name was ticked off again, and my hand stamped:



Seating was eclectic - I chose a comfy-looking armchair in the second row. It's a small room anyway.



A kind of mc was wandering around, but his main function was to keep the music playing, beforehand, during the interval, and after - his phone was hooked up to the speakers, and blasted out a decent rock playlist. The actual mc-ing was done by the comedians themselves - first up was Tom Deacon, to explain the format to us and bother the front row. After promising he wouldn't.

He introduced the other guy, Stefano Paolini, who was up first and a bit less polished. He explained that his usual stuff is a lot shorter - like all the comedians just now, of course, he's practising for Edinburgh. So he's trying to extend his material, and referred quite a lot to his notebook. Hey, we're used to that from folks practising for Edinburgh. And he focused primarily on his life story - he's of Italian descent (you don't say..), and has had a varied career. I'll say this - he's a brilliant mimic! Most enjoyable.

Tom came on again after the interval, and bothered some more people - left me alone, happily. Some very funny material, very self-deprecating, and less checking of his notes. It struck me that it's been too long since I was at a comedy gig - it's good to be back. Mind you, it overran - my mother was Skyping me before I was out of the pub! And the buses home were even quicker - although they did take a little longer to come.

Right then! Off we go with the next bunch of events. I was initially thinking of a walk, tomorrow evening - a few Meetup groups are doing them, and I could do with the exercise. On my own, as I can't make any of theirs that are on tomorrow. But gee, storm Brendan is bringing rain, all evening.. ok, Plan B is a film. The top film on the list is something called Cep Herkülü: Naim Süleymanoglu. Based on the true story of an ethnic Turkish weightlifter born in Bulgaria, who defected to Turkey during the Communist Party's rule in Bulgaria, it does look interesting. However, it's only showing in the Odeon Lee Valley, at 10pm. Which just isn't a runner on a work night.

So that leaves me with a tie between The Gentlemen and Knives Out! Man - both star-studded, both look like fun. It was a close call - but I decided I'd rather see The Gentlemen. Directed by Guy Ritchie, it's a gangster romp, where Matthew McConaughey decides to sell his cannabis empire - thus starting a scrabble for power. He's married to Michelle Dockery - but this looks a world away from her role in Downton Abbey. Colin Farrell is the Irish boxing coach who, it seems, is a heavy on the side. Hugh Grant looks like he's having great fun as the private eye (and aspiring screenwriter) who's hired, by a newspaper, to investigate this new gang war on their doorstep. And I expect to have a ball. Nearest showing is in the Curzon Aldgate.

On Tuesday, more comedy - this time, in Soho Theatre. Tarot is a sketch show based around a live tarot reading. What's not to love..?!

On Wednesday, back with Meetup at last. Civilised London (CL) is back to dinner at Little Georgia, and naturally, so am I. Meeting at The Crown beforehand.

Thursday is going to be film as well - which is where Knives Out comes in. No question I was going to see it - it was just a question of which to see first! This is a classic, drawing-room murder mystery. Daniel Craig is the detective, hired to investigate the murder of Christopher Plummer. Jamie Lee Curtis is the deceased's daughter, married to Don Johnson. Toni Collette is the deceased's daughter-in-law. Each as horrid as the last.. and I booked it, because the closest showing is in the Vue Islington, and Vue are apparently cheaper online. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On the 20th, back with CL for another jazz night at Wilton's. This time, it's Uri Sade.

On the 21st, back for another comedy show at Soho Theatre - this time, it's Hench, by Jessica Fostekew.

And on the 22nd, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for a preview of Aisha and Abhaya, at the Linbury Theatre - apparently a new venue for the Opera House. My first time there!

No comments:

Post a Comment