Monday 13 January 2020

Film: The Gentlemen

I was initially thinking of a walk, this evening - a few Meetup groups are doing them regularly, and I could do with the exercise. On my own, as I couldn't make any of theirs that were on today. But gee, storm Brendan was due to bring rain, all evening.. ok, Plan B was a film. The top film on the list is something called Cep Herkülü: Naim Süleymanoglu. Based on the true story of an ethnic Turkish weightlifter born in Bulgaria, who defected to Turkey during the Communist Party's rule in Bulgaria, it does look interesting. However, it's only showing in the Odeon Lee Valley, at 10pm. Which just isn't a runner on a work night.

So that left me with a tie between The Gentlemen and Knives Out! Man - both star-studded, both looked like fun. It was a close call - but I decided I'd rather see The Gentlemen. Directed by Guy Ritchie, it's a gangster romp, where Matthew McConaughey decides to sell his cannabis empire - thus starting a scrabble for power. He's married to Michelle Dockery - but this is a world away from her role in Downton AbbeyColin Farrell is the Irish boxing coach who, it seems, is a heavy on the side. Hugh Grant looks like he's having great fun as the private eye (and aspiring screenwriter) who's hired, by a newspaper, to investigate this new gang war on their doorstep. And I expected to have a ball. Nearest showing is in the Curzon Aldgate. Didn't book heavily, so I didn't have to book in advance, and saved myself the booking fee.

Our office has automatic blinds - supposed to be to block excessive sunshine, for some reason they always come down after 5. Now, at this time of the year, it's pitch black at that time, so I don't know what the logic is. Anyway, so it was that when I left the building, I had no idea what I was walking into. I soon learned - and as I struggled along the road, I congratulated myself for not going for a walk. Lashing rain, and windy - storm Brendan arrived, all right! Mercifully, so did the bus, at the same time I did. And was I glad it was just that bit too far to walk, on an evening like this.. I was a little late for the scheduled start time - but, at a mainstream film showing, you have some leeway, and all I missed were ads. And sank into the reclining seats with great relief - the little ledges on each armrest were handy, too.

It wasn't long before the film started - R rated, for extreme strong language. And let's not forget the violence, although there isn't anything too explicit. So let's assume that you don't object to language or violence then, shall we? Because otherwise you can stop reading now. For the rest of us - this is FUCKING brilliant!

As the reviews promised, Guy Ritchie is always fun. And this is packed with style and humour. If the Americans can get past the aforementioned bad language, they're gonna love the depictions of Britishness. Not only is Michelle Dockery a Cockney Queen, but there's also a peppering of lords and ladies, and some glimpses into their country estates. Tea features prominently, and suits are tailored. By and large. Some very tough men deal swiftly with their opponents, at every turn of the film - and Colin Farrell is bloody hilarious in every scene he's in.

I loved the constant twists and turns - don't ever think you know how this is going to pan out, and I laughed out loud, along with the rest of the crowd, when some of the twists were revealed. YES this is excellent, and yes, I had a ball! Go see, if you're - you know - ok with the language, and violence that isn't too explicit. Anyway, I'm delighted I saw this! Not so delighted with the cinema WiFi, which wasn't working. For the walk home, the rain had pretty much dried up, and the wind had strengthened - happily, it got less as I got closer to home, nestled safely among the skyscrapers.

Tomorrow, more comedy - this time, in Soho TheatreTarot is a sketch show based around a live tarot reading. What's not to love..?!

On Wednesday, back with Meetup at last. Civilised London (CL) is back to dinner at Little Georgia, and naturally, so am I. Meeting at The Crown beforehand.

Thursday is going to be film as well - which is where Knives Out comes in. No question I was going to see it - it was just a question of which to see first! This is a classic, drawing-room murder mystery. Daniel Craig is the detective, hired to investigate the murder of Christopher PlummerJamie Lee Curtis is the deceased's daughter, married to Don JohnsonToni Collette is the deceased's daughter-in-law. Each as horrid as the last.. and I booked it, because the closest showing is in the Vue Islington, and Vue are apparently cheaper online. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

Next Monday, back with CL for another jazz night at Wilton's. This time, it's Uri Sade.

On the 21st, back for another comedy show at Soho Theatre - this time, it's Hench, by Jessica Fostekew.

And on the 22nd, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for a preview of Aisha and Abhaya, at the Linbury Theatre - apparently a new venue for the Opera House. My first time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment