Monday 27 January 2020

Film: 1917

Today was film. And top of the list was.. 1917. Now, I know I said I'm not into war films. But then I heard reviews from a couple of people who say the same - and they said it was awesome, and not like any war film they'd seen before. So I thought I was kind of obliged to see it. Co-written, co-produced, and directed by Sam Mendes, it stars Colin Firth as the general, the delectable Andrew Scott as the lieutenant, and Benedict Cumberbatch as the particularly obnoxious colonel, in a tale of two lads, sent on a suicide mission across no-man's-land, to deliver a message to a forward battalion not to attack, because they're walking into a trap. Stunning camerawork was promised, made to look as though it was all done in one take. Showing, conveniently, in the street-level cinemas at the Barbican - I said I'd try for the earlier showing, which wasn't booking out at first - I planned to keep an eye on it.

It was a day fit for nothing but film - the morning was beautiful, if cold, but it had started to rain by the time I got back to the office with my lunch. And boy, did it lash rain this afternoon! Cocooned in our office as we were, we couldn't hear it and barely noticed it on the glass - but the clouds were very ominous, and the rain terrible if you cared to look for it. Mercifully, it had stopped again by evening.

Caught up with something else, I suddenly realised that it was about an hour before the scheduled start time, when online booking usually ends! So I whipped up the website - and luckily, was in time; it was now nearly sold out. So I booked, wolfed down the dinner I'd bought at the same time as lunch, and set off. Didn't take me long at all - particularly not since, as I say, these screens are at street level. I just arrived at the scheduled start time, and went straight in, settling into my comfy seat.

The screen was fairly packed - and woe is me, the guy beside me was a heavy breather, with a snuffle. Reminds me of when I was doing private tuition, and teenage boys never felt the need to use a hanky. Even when offered one. Mind you, he completely forgot to snuffle as the film went on - as also the coughing lady behind me forgot to cough.

Because this film is utterly compelling. You might, in fact, forget to breathe. The camerawork is genius - tight on the central characters, so you have the suspense of never being able to see more than they can, which puts you right in the story. Not to mention the close-ups of all the icky stuff they have to wade through in no-man's land.. never too gory, it doesn't need to be. There's enough to feed our imaginations.

The three stars I mentioned at the beginning do appear, for exactly one scene each, and in the order mentioned (funny, that!). The general gives the lads the order to carry, sends them via the lieutenant who is to show them what direction to go in, and the colonel is the man to deliver the order to. But as I say, just one scene each - this is a film about these lads, and their incredible journey.

And it's really moving. No politics in this, no patriotism - plenty about the horrors of war though, without going too far over the top. I gasped at the scary bits, and was as relieved as the characters on screen whenever the grime lifted briefly, with a shot of green grass, or a snatch of song. I've honestly never seen anything that made me sympathise so much with ordinary soldiers - right from the first moment that they have to stick their heads over the trench, without knowing whether they're going to be blown straight off. And neither do we, as the camera is coming up right behind them, watching as they look at each other worriedly.

And every now and again, even amidst the grime comes a shot of real beauty. The writers apparently based the plot on old war stories their grandfathers told them - well, their grandads can be proud. Not at all surprised this is up for so many awards - it's a powerful and beautifully made film. Really glad I saw it.

Tomorrow, I'm back for more comedy at Soho Theatre - this time, it's Alfie Brown.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - this time, for the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! at the Bridge Theatre. I absolutely loved the Chronicles of Narnia when I was a kid - let's see how this matches up!

Again, I was to be happy I hadn't anything booked for Thursday, when Eleanor from the London European Club (LEC) (and World Music Meetup) advertised a flamenco concert - I'm a sucker for flamenco. So I've booked for that - this time, it's in City Hope Church. Tickets, as usual, from Tuned In London - and as the lady says, on the eve of Brexit, we need something European.. Must remember to bring cash for the bar.

Then I'm back in Ireland for the weekend. Ironically, yesterday I was messaged by a Bulgarian fellow, who said he'll be in London for a few days from Friday, and could I recommend some social events to him?! Took a while to give him a shortlist..

Next Monday, I'm back with the LEC (how appropriate that they should bookmark Brexit for me! completely coincidental on my part) for an organ concert at the Royal Festival Hall.

And on the 4th, I'm finally doing something with the folks from work - every now and then they have pop-up social events, and this time it's a pub quiz. So I can see whether all those tv quiz shows have helped! Taking place at The Castle pub, not far from the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment