Tuesday 17 April 2018

Talk: Gravitational Waves and Beyond

Tonight, went with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. Tickets from Eventbrite. During the afternoon, the organiser messaged us that he'd be there from around 6:45, which gave me something to aim for.

I'd just missed my bus, frustratingly - but another was along in about five minutes. Which I nearly dropped asleep on, after continually waking during the night to cough, and then having one of those tiring days at work. It dropped me off, vexingly, one stop short of where Google Maps said it'd go to - quite common for buses terminating in the West End, as I discovered last year, when I was living there. Never mind, I'd be in plenty of time for the talk - and it wasn't too far to walk, just at a kind of angle to Google maps' suggested route. Once I'd passed through busy Oxford Street (where the nearby Tube entrance was closed, probably due to overcrowding) and almost-as-busy Regent Street, I was in quiet streets, last traversed on some walk where we were looking at designer goods.

On Albemarle Street, the venue was easy to spot, with its name on the awning over the door. The lobby was packed - but soon cleared out once the theatre opened for the talk, upstairs. At which point I thought I saw someone I recognised from the list of attendees.. well, I commented on the event page that I was there, then introduced myself, and sure enough, she was one of us. In due course, the organiser messaged back that he was in the cafe downstairs, and would be up shortly. To be fair, I don't think he necessarily expected anyone at all - indeed, we two were the only ones from the group who joined him! Now, I understand if people can't make it - and there were a couple who commented on the page that they wouldn't be - but I still maintain that it's bad form to say you're coming to something, then just not show up, without a bye or leave. Sadly, very common - and very bad manners.

Well, we headed upstairs and had our tickets scanned - by phone, which made it interesting if the ticket was on another phone. Phone-to-phone action! We took our seats - it wasn't quite sold out, but nearly, and if you want a good seat, it's advisable to claim it early. Speaking of seats: what interesting, pink upholstery they have! We had a decent view, somewhat to the side.

It started a little late - only to be expected. Participating were the Chief Scientific Adviser for Scotland, who'd been intimately involved with the recent detection of gravitational waves - and her interviewer, from Nature journal. I'd been expecting it to be a presentation, rather than an interview - and while the story of her personal journey to this point was interesting, I actually thought there wasn't enough science in this! I was rather happier near the end, when diagrams and videos started to appear, representing how these waves are created: and there were some very interesting questions from the audience, in the strictly timed Q+A afterwards.

To summarise - gravitational waves are created when massive bodies move, given that mass affects the curvature of spacetime. They're predicted by the Theory of General Relativity - another prediction that's taken forever to prove. It took until 2016 for them actually to be detected - simply because they're so very faint. And after they'd made massive improvements in the measuring equipment - and taken account of all environmental phenomena that might account for any movement detected - they were astonished when they got a reading, right after turning the thing on! Truly, a landmark day. It was astounding to hear about the number of contributors cited on the relevant paper, with so many astronomers worldwide looking for the signals.. jeez, how would all their names fit?!

And so home, nice and early a coughing fit waited until I was on the bus, mercifully. A nice bunch of folks, and it was good to meet them. Hope I can make another of their events. Tomorrow, Funzing again (courtesy of London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night), for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu - the code "crazy_fun" typically gets 10% off Funzing events. Taking place at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Eh, you're joking! Jeez, at least I should know how to get to this one, after getting lost on my way there on Monday night - happily, they're crediting me with a free talk for my trouble. And I know to arrive in time! Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On Thursday, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On Friday, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends saw it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night when I looked.

On Saturday, Helen is in town and we're headed for food. Somewhere. In the evening, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On Sunday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats.. all day, as it happens. See, one of the organisers went crazy booking things today - it seems there's a day of free events at the V&A, with the theme of censorship. The day starts with Decorum X: Brunch with Bite.. tickets required. This is followed by a talk on Censorship on the Elizabethan Stage, then finally comes a performance by Belarus Free Theatre (the only theatre company in Europe banned by its government on political grounds, it seems), with Artists Fighting Oppression. Sold out now, but he had tickets for us, if we were in quick. In the evening, we're off to a film music gala at the Albert Hall. What the hey, the V&A is on the way there!

On Monday, another Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

Next Tuesday and on the 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: Tuesday is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the London European Club is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment