Monday 16 April 2018

Talk: The Story of Accent and Identity

Tonight, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, was sold out by the time I came to book it. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups, London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night (who, this time, didn't cancel!), for The Story of Accent and Identity.

Oh, that team I've been set to work with in California! The product manager just doesn't seem to get this time difference idea. So, he messaged me just as I was just about to leave.. so I told him I was just about to leave. I waited some minutes for a response. Well, it seemed that he needed some extra documentation done - he wanted to know whether I could get it in today, or "worst case scenario" (his phrase), first thing in the morning, and what time would that be? I said first thing would be the equivalent of 2am his time - was that early enough? Yup. He'd accept that. Would he be done quickly, if he wanted me to get it done now? Oh no, COB, said he. WTF? That'd be 1am for me..! I legged it. We'll see what he sends me in the morning.

So, with all of that nonsense, I was a bit later than I wanted, heading out. Never mind, my bus came in good time - uncomfortably crowded, but it did get me there ahead of schedule. And I found Camden Market without difficulty.. I'd never been in there before, but found The Stables Market too, where the talk was supposed to be. I have to commend Camden for its street art:


More pictures here. Ehh.. where was the talk, though? I stupidly wandered all over the place, figuring there'd be some sign directing us to the Funzing talk. To be fair, that's what happened the last time it was in a market. Nope. Several potential bars, none obvious. And that was all that was on the basic Funzing description on my calendar, which I'd used for directions. I sent several messages, both to Funzing and to the speaker - no response, of course. By the time I'd read closer into the description, and found it was on in Gabeto (which, to be fair, was also detailed on the Meetup description, but which I'd forgotten - well, look at everything I've done since I booked!), the talk had already started. And by the time I mooched over there, the entrance was shut, and that was that.

I headed home in something of a foul mood - I hate a wasted journey. It didn't help that Google Maps didn't "recognise [my] location"! Not even when I put local landmarks into it, and even though the little blue dot was finding me just fine. So I just headed back the way I'd come, and handily enough, it recovered its wits just in time for me to make the turn to get the bus back. Passed some lovely flats, just off the main road - ooh, I'd love to live here. But the commute would be a nuisance..

Tomorrow, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On Wednesday, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu: at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Eh, you're joking! Jeez, at least I should know how to get to this one. And I know to arrive in time! Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On Thursday, back with a proper Meetup group, in the form of London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On Friday, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap SeatsNorth London Friends saw it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night when I looked.

On Saturday, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is  called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On Sunday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

Next Monday, another Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the London European Club is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment