Tuesday 27 March 2018

Walk: Ghosts of the Old City II (London Walks)

Tonight, back with Funzing - a Walking in London tour of Ghosts of the Old City. (Yes, it's different to the last one..) and lo, they didn't cancel this during the day. Unlike yesterday's Funzing event. For both of these events, got a 10% discount - they alternate between the codes crazy_fun and LoveFun, these days.

So I walked on down to it. The guy was there by the time I got there, brandishing his leaflets - and lo, this was London Walks again! Now, years ago - shortly after arriving in London, really - I went on another walk of theirs with the same title. The guide was dressed in a cape, and various people popped up at us, in costume, during the night. This was a very different beast; I wonder whether they've stopped that other walk entirely.

Well, this was a personable chap - Scottish, and said he used to be a journalist. We met outside St. Paul's - and never got very far from there, meaning that this was truly a walk of the old City! Plenty of Americans on this walk.. including an enthusiastic little lad, who, as we were being given the preamble, shot up his arm for a question, despite his mother's protests. "If we catch a ghost, can we keep it?" The guide thought for a minute. "Do you believe in ghosts?" "Yes!" "Well then, you're much more likely to catch one - and if you do, you can keep it." "Yay.."


Down backstreets and alleyways, some paths I knew and some I didn't. I'll say this, though - of all the tales he told us over our two hours or so, I can honestly say I'd only heard the very last one before - and even that had a new element. How do they do it? Well, he did tell us a story he'd got from one of his patrons, just last week - "fresh off the presses", indeed! We saw a new angle to the Old Bailey - why have none of my other walks ever taken me this way?


And no-one ever before pointed out to me the other monuments at Smithfield (you know, apart from the one to William Wallace):


I can also honestly say that this was the most atmospheric ghost walk I've been on. Costumes not required - some people who can tell stories join the Crick Crack Club and do it on a stage, some give guided walks. Our guide (Adam) has a real talent for showmanship - highly recommended! And then my blasted cough surfaced, and lasted a good five minutes while he was telling the group about the ghost of the Viaduct Tavern. Bless him, when he was done, he gave me a cough sweet that saw me right. Now, that's what I call being prepared! Very highly recommended - you don't need to book, it costs £10, £8 concessions and free for the under-15s. Speaking of whom, the small boy was a bit tired by the end, but otherwise delighted with himself. Great range of walks, and if they're all as entertaining as this, you can't go wrong.

Tomorrow, back at a proper Meetup at last, to the Park Theatre with Up in the Cheap Seats for the opening night of Pressure. Then I'm back to Ireland (yes, again!) for Easter, flying back to London on Monday. I see there's a treat for BBC viewers - Andrew Scott's Hamlet, from last year, is being broadcast on BBC2 on Saturday. Interesting choice for Easter. I just wonder whether his performance will be as electrifying on screen as it was live.. Man with the Hat, if you're reading, make sure to watch this! I know you would have loved to see it live.

Next Tuesday, Meetup is throwing up a couple of things I'd have been interested in - Up in the Cheap Seats is off to the ballet at the Opera House, and North London Friends is off to see a play called Black Men Walking at the Royal Court. And wouldn't you know it, by the time I got around to checking, they were both sold out! Blast. (Mind you, I read a not-great review of the play, last night). Although there seemed subsequently to be some tickets left for the ballet, which is now sold out again. Anyway, in the meantime, I got the last £15 ticket - from the official website - for Bat Out of Hell, in the Dominion Theatre. Rear stalls - not so shabby. Should be fun. Then a couple more events were advertised that I'd have been interested in - too late, guys, I usually book earlier than that!

On the 4th, I'm headed (finally, it's been so long!) to see the Crick Crack Club perform The Gods and Monsters Show at Rich Mix. Now, I don't know what's with the head of their Meetup group, but she seems to think it's on two days later - I did comment on the event page to that effect. Just check the venue website, as I then said. Or indeed, the Crick Crack Club's own website. Daft woman hasn't changed it yet. Not that it wouldn't have suited me to have it on another day - I'd be missing London Literary Walksfirst outing of the year, damnit! But it's for a very good cause..

Then I checked, and wouldn't you know it, he subsequently shifted the walk to the 5th! Seems he now works alternating shifts, so dates can change at short notice. Well, this one worked out great for me. Sadly, I'll be missing North London Friends' trip to the Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks - well, you can't have everything. I'd never be up to Crouch End in time after the walk.

On the 6th, with nothing much on Meetup, I booked - with my £3.60 club, when they finally put something on - for Banana Crabtree Simon, at the Drayton Arms. A play about dementia, it might be terrible, but I can give it a try.

On the 7th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for The Inheritance, at the Young Vic - both parts, so the whole day! With each part running to about 3.5 hours, I hope it's worth it.. Vanessa Redgrave takes part (only in Part II).

On the 8th, I had booked for London's Grime & Punishment Tour, with Walking in London again. However, when I checked Crick Crack's Meetup group.. I discovered I'd forgotten about their story of The Liberty Tree - Robin Hood and Other English Radicals, at the British Museum! What's more, it's hosted by Hugh Lupton, and my second-favourite storyteller, Nick Hennessy. I'd have hated to miss this - thank heaven there were still tickets. Not to mention that I could blithely cancel the walk, as it's Funzing, and it'd already been used to amass a loyalty discount, so I had no penalty at all.

On the 9th, back with Let's Do This for Nell & the Hot Mess Muggers, at Wilton's. Now, that should be a good night..

On the 10th, the London European Club (LEC) advertised a free classical concert in St. John's, Smith Square. Email musikolondon@gmail.com for tickets, subject to availability.

On the 11th, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to see Pericles, at the Barbican.

On the 12th, the LEC is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 16th, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups for The Story of Accent and Identity.

On the 17th, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On the 18th, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! And he seems to prefer Thursdays, which are working out better for me so far. This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night. For the 20th, one of the group is looking to sell her ticket, if you're interested - I didn't see that until I'd got mine.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is also called Ghosts of the Old City!

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

On the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked last night!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the LEC is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. And then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment