Thursday 8 March 2018

Walk: Il Quartiere - Tales from Italian Clerkenwell

Tonight, Walking Victorian London had a walk around Il Quartiere - Tales from Italian Clerkenwell. Excellent - I've had my eye on that for a while. Another I could walk to - roll on more of those!

Boy, it was a bitter night for it though, with a frigid breeze. I meandered through some new streets on the way - there's always an alleyway will get you there. As it happened, I timed my arrival at Farringdon Station perfectly, arriving dead centre between the train and Tube stations just at exactly the same time as the guide. We were duly joined by the others, and set out on our way.

Saffron Hill was our starting point, where the tall buildings on either side are still evocative of the slums that the Italians flocked to in the 19th century. We passed a building that used to be the Italian school in the neighbourhood - and is now a ballet school, where they must have had the heating on high, because they opened the windows a crack, so we could hear the teacher barking orders, and see little faces peering out at us in curiosity. We passed down several little laneways, that used to be filled with the smell of cooking - and less salubrious odours. 



More photos here. As usual, an informative and entertaining walk by our guide. We heard tales of discrimination, personal stories (some so incredible they'd have to be true), saw some old photos - and heard much about organised crime. Apparently, the walk is based on a book about the area - the guide promised to share a link to it, and I really hope he does. If the stories tonight are all in it, it must be a treasure trove! Excellent evening - highly recommended.

Mind you, the cold wreaked havoc with my nose and chest - and the hills made me wheeze, what with my depleted lung function. I was glad to get in. Tomorrow, Helen's in town, so we're headed for lunch, somewhere TBD. In the evening, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On Monday, London Dramatic Arts was going to Caroline, or Change, at Hampstead Theatre. As usual, too expensive for me, and I got my own ticket, at about half the price. She was only going with one unnamed guest, and now doesn't seem to be going at all..

On Tuesday, Funzing (via Meetup) is throwing up a couple of things I've already done, and several I'm not interested in. The CLOG has an interesting-sounding walk - but frankly, I find  them a bit clingy - not inclined to go again, I don't fancy the constant pressure to join for good! I was thinking of a film, but what came up was Makala, a documentary about a young Congolese charcoal farmer - not that interested. Instead, I'm going - with my £3.60 club - to a play called Glass Roots, in the Tristan Bates Theatre. Early bird discount price is £12..

On Wednesday and next Thursday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats; Wednesday is The Great Wave, in the DorfmanNext Thursday, the opening night of Ballet Black, at the Barbican. Sold out now.

On the 16th, Funzing - via Walking in London - has The Hidden Horrors Haunted History London Ghost Walk. Hell, the alliteration alone got me interested! Got it for free, what with a combination of my loyalty discount, and the crazy_fun 10% discount code. (They've changed to Lovefun now.)

On the 17th, London European Club organised a trip to a ceilidh for St. Patrick's Day - however, it was subsequently cancelled, for essential ongoing maintenance work on the building. Which, mind you, worked out perfectly for me, as after booking it, I discovered I'm travelling to the company's Silicon Valley office that day, where I'll be for most of the following week. It'll be my first time in California. And when I get back, I'll be turning straight around and flying to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment