Saturday 7 April 2018

Play: The Inheritance

Today, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for The Inheritance, at the Young Vic - both parts, so the whole day! At least I could have a bit of a lie-in. With each part running to about 3.5 hours, I hoped it'd be worth it.. Vanessa Redgrave takes part (only in Part II). We had a table booked in Cubana between the two parts.

Well, I had a lovely, long lie-in! Woke up at my usual time, looked at the clock, said "goodee", and rolled over again and went back to sleep. With the result that, when I next woke, it was 11:30! Needed that sleep - and anyway, I was in time. I made it out some time after 12, making my way down to Farringdon Road for the bus - I had a choice of two. As I approached the junction, I could see one of them stopped at the lights - figured I'd have time to scuttle off to the next stop along and catch it. And I was right - indeed, it was stopped so long there that I was left waiting at the stop for several minutes. The other guy at the stop decided to take some exercise, going for a little stroll while he was waiting.

Both of us got on when the bus finally reached us. And I must say, that was the last delay; apart from stops at traffic lights, the bus only stopped twice - once for each of us to get off - and after just over 10 minutes, I alighted at Waterloo. Since I was outside a Tesco, I nipped in for a sandwich, which constituted brunch. A short walk from there to the venue - straight ahead, and a left at the Old Vic. Ate most of my sandwich outside, before making my way to the entrance - didn't finish it, it was getting a bit much to gulp down. There was a convenient bin nearby. Anyway, I picked up my ticket at the box office - handily, it mentioned both parts on it, so I didn't have to go again later - and joined the others outside. With the weather as nice as it was today, our organiser suggested that we meet there at each of the intervals - there are two in the first part, one in the second, and of course we met there at the end of the first part, too.

As it happened, three of us were in the front row - which turned into four when our member with a "lucky dip" ticket scored the seat beside me! (With "lucky dip", you generally pay less, but have to take pot luck with seating on the night, taking whatever's available.) As I remarked, with a passage in front of you, the legroom is unparalleled. The centre of the stage is frequently raised, which can make action at the rear of the stage a bit hard to see. The upholstered benches are comfortable enough too, but it does help that the intervals occur roughly every hour, so you're never left sitting for too long. I do recommend getting up for these, and for the pause in the second part.

Well, this is a mammoth undertaking. Apart from the aforementioned Vanessa Redgrave, I counted as many as 21 people in the production - all men, most young and fit. (Very watchable!) Some nudity, also - and some very funny simulated sex. Turns out, mind, that it's inspired by Howard's End - indeed, E .M. Forster (Paul Hilton) turns up as one of the characters, and hey, they're even carrying a copy of the book around. Another character, Henry Wilcox (Tony winner John Benjamin Hickey), is named for the character that he's modelled after, in the book.

It starts in a creative writing class - Forster is the tutor, although I don't know whether he's supposed to be Forster at this stage. One of his students needs help starting the story of his love life - they all seem to be gay, and various class members start to take roles in acting out the story, with occasional direction by Forster.

Each (roughly) hour-long segment tends to start with back and forth banter - and my God, is it good! Brilliantly written, sharply delivered, it's hilarious. Toby (Andrew Burnap) in particular is a real scene-stealer, with his good looks and boyish demeanour. He has a knack for the comic expression - I had to pity poor Forster, forced to look on with a serious demeanour, as though analysing the story telling, while the others not acting, at the back of the stage, can just enjoy it. Others that you might recognise include Robert Boulter and Michael Marcus.  However, the story swiftly becomes darker, culminating in a fraught scene just before each interval - or pause.

Overall, it's the story of bright, successful young gay men in Manhattan - a sort of gay Friends. But when they encounter Henry and his partner, Walter (also played by Paul Hilton), they come across a darker narrative. The "inheritance" of the title might refer to the house that Walter owns, upstate, or to the legacy of the AIDS epidemic that these youngsters never personally experienced, but only heard about as scary stories. Indeed, I remember it being referred to as the "gay plague" - in this show, it is frequently referred to as a plague, and its influence is felt more strongly as the story progresses.

So, the first part is a brilliant showcase of bright, gay young things - with a beautifully portrayed underbelly. Many who've seen both parts feel that this first part is superior - certainly, we didn't feel as though all that time had passed! We were quite optimistic about the second part as we headed off for dinner at La Cubana - a short walk away. Where they didn't have our table ready yet, but directed us to the bar, where Happy Hour (4 - 7) was well in swing. And hey, I don't usually go for cocktails - but these were very reasonably priced.. and it's years since I had a margarita.. and they were 2-for-1 (and at £7.50 for one, that's a steal!). So, margaritas I had, in the handy marquee out front. And another couple with my food - which, I must say, was delicious, when it finally arrived. (Well, they were terribly busy, with it being both Happy Hour and a Saturday.) I had the pollo criollo (roast chicken), which was served with onions and a gorgeous, sherry sauce - to die for. And a side of the pollo frito con sesames (fried chicken with sesame seeds), also very tasty. Friendly service too - recommended.


For the second part, unfortunately our "Lucky Dip" companion had to move - the people who'd booked the seats finally showed up. She ended up in the rear stalls - which, mind, did save her from being sprayed with stuff from the stage, which is pretty unavoidable if you're sat where we were! Yes, the second part is more dramatic - the stories are resolved, and everything suddenly gets more serious. Also much more emotional - if you're not inclined to tear up at this stage, just take a look at Eric (Kyle Soller), who, as someone remarked, always looked as though he was on the verge of tears. He'll set you off. The much-touted Vanessa Redgrave doesn't make her appearance until half an hour into the final act - but she plays her part well, and makes quite an impression. On the cast members too, by the look of them! And there's a wee seven-year-old boy, who doesn't have any lines, but is brought on as Toby's younger self (aww!).

A pretty unanimous standing ovation at the end pretty much sums it up. I did say, at the start, that it was a good sign that the house was full - sure enough, although we felt emotionally drained by the end, we all agreed that it was a terrific show, and really didn't feel as long as it was. Runs until the 19th of next month - sold out for the rest of this month and most of next, and with limited availability on three of the four dates for which tickets remain - gee, I'd book! Three of us took the bus home together - and it was a most excellent day. Don't be intimidated by the length of this production - it was well worth it to us.

Tomorrow, I had booked for London's Grime & Punishment Tour, with Walking in London. However, when I checked Crick Crack's Meetup group.. I discovered I'd forgotten about their story of The Liberty Tree - Robin Hood and Other English Radicals, at the British Museum! What's more, it's hosted by Hugh Lupton, and my second-favourite storyteller, Nick Hennessy. I'd have hated to miss this - thank heaven there were still tickets. Not to mention that I could blithely cancel the walk, as it's Funzing, and it'd already been used to amass a loyalty discount, so I had no penalty at all. Happily, it's also on an hour later than the walk - and I can walk to it. All good.

On Monday, back with Let's Do This for Nell & the Hot Mess Muggers, at Wilton's. Now, that should be a good night..

On Tuesday, the London European Club (LEC) advertised a free classical concert in St. John's, Smith Square. Email musikolondon@gmail.com for tickets, subject to availability.

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to see Pericles, at the Barbican. Actually, last night's organiser and I had some fun after the show last night, trying to figure out when we'd see each other again - Wednesday, we deduced!

On Thursday, the LEC is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 16th, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups, London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night (until they cancel!), for The Story of Accent and Identity.

On the 17th, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On the 18th, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is  called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

On the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the LEC is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment