Thursday 5 April 2018

Walk: Women in Business

Last night, I headed to see the Crick Crack Club - I'd be missing London Literary Walksfirst outing of the year, damnit! But it was for a very good cause.. there are few things I'd put before London Literary Walks, but this is one. But then, wouldn't you know it, the London Literary Walks guy subsequently shifted the walk to tonight! Seems his new job is dictating the schedule somewhat. Well, this one worked out great for me. Sadly, I'd be missing North London Friends' trip to the Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks - well, you can't have everything. I'd never have been up to Crouch End in time after the walk.

Work found new and interesting ways to keep me occupied - still hasn't settled down - so, again, I left a little later than intended! Could've got the bus - but, in order to maximise my time with the group, I treated myself to the Tube for once. Heh - I say "treated".. a sign at the entrance (well, slightly to the side) about there being only step access to the platforms, and 100 steps at that, worried me until I realised it wasn't relevant to me.. I know there is reduced escalator access, but I guess it's sporadic. Anyway, I took the Northern Line to King's Cross, and remembered en route how much I hate the Tube - the smell of diesel, the heat of bodies, the crush, the lack of oxygen. It was a bit better on the Victoria Line into town - less crowded, and I got a seat. Still, I was glad to get off.



More photos here. Once I'd pushed my way through the dreadful crowds at Oxford Circus, it wasn't so very long of a walk. Google Maps was calling it the Guinea Grill, instead of the Guinea - but given that it was on the correct street, I figured I was ok. As I approached, I could see that the "Guinea Grill" is apparently the restaurant upstairs. And as I made to enter, I was tapped on the shoulder.. by someone I didn't know, rapidly followed by the group leader, who'd apparently put him up to it..

Well, we congregated across the road, and when I went to get a drink, I discovered that service was quick and friendly. The wine was decent, if pricey. No seating though, so it was back outside - and how rare it is to find somewhere where you can freely drink on the street! As was pointed out, it is a very quiet street.. and a very quiet group today, since only Mary joined us after that! a bit breathless, having mistaken the location. Never mind, the walk was delayed long enough that she had time for a drink.

Now, the theme of the walk was "Women in Business" - and a broad range of businesses it was! We saw fashion..



..we saw shops with royal warrants..



..and we saw hedonistic bunny rabbits:



And along the way, we passed so many houses in which famous women had stayed:



Oh, and the odd man!



Drinks were had at the King's Arms, where our newcomer very kindly stood us all a round - an interesting pub, whose toilets house inspirational quotes about alcohol. A couple more factoids before we wended our separate ways home - welcome back Stephen, we'll be fascinated to learn what's coming next! Meantime, it had gotten a bit chilly, and I was glad that my bus came practically straight away.

Tomorrow, with nothing much on Meetup, I booked - with my £3.60 club, when they finally put something on - for Banana Crabtree Simon, at the Drayton Arms. A play about dementia, it might be terrible, but I could give it a try. Mind you, most of my recent experiences with them have been terrible, so when Up in the Cheap Seats ultimately advertised a trip to see Bernstein's Mass at the Royal Festival Hall, I booked that instead. Certainly closer than the blasted Drayton Arms..

On Saturday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for The Inheritance, at the Young Vic - both parts, so the whole day! With each part running to about 3.5 hours, I hope it's worth it.. Vanessa Redgrave takes part (only in Part II). We've got a table booked in Cubana between the two parts.

On Sunday, I had booked for London's Grime & Punishment Tour, with Walking in London. However, when I checked Crick Crack's Meetup group.. I discovered I'd forgotten about their story of The Liberty Tree - Robin Hood and Other English Radicals, at the British Museum! What's more, it's hosted by Hugh Lupton, and my second-favourite storyteller, Nick Hennessy. I'd have hated to miss this - thank heaven there were still tickets. Not to mention that I could blithely cancel the walk, as it's Funzing, and it'd already been used to amass a loyalty discount, so I had no penalty at all.

On Monday, back with Let's Do This for Nell & the Hot Mess Muggers, at Wilton's. Now, that should be a good night..

On Tuesday, the London European Club (LEC) advertised a free classical concert in St. John's, Smith Square. Email musikolondon@gmail.com for tickets, subject to availability.

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to see Pericles, at the Barbican.

Next Thursday, the LEC is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 16th, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups, London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night (until they cancel!), for The Story of Accent and Identity.

On the 17th, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On the 18th, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night. For the 20th, one of the group is looking to sell her ticket, if you're interested - I didn't see that until I'd got mine.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is  called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last walk!

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

On the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the LEC is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment