Friday 20 April 2018

Walk: Guitar Bands are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein

Yesterday, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one was called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

My evening meeting had at least one long-winded person in it, so ran on after 7pm - as we were supposed to meet in West Hampstead from 8, that meant I was on the Tube, unusually. So late in the evening, it wasn't too bad - the Jubilee Line was crowded, but someone immediately offered me a seat, so I could read my paper in peace. I'd picked it up on the way in, knowing it was to be a long journey, but left it as I got off - it'd just have been a nuisance.

We were to meet in The Railway - turn left out of the station and you can't miss it. With the windows all open because of the heat, and people scattered on the pavement outside, it was decently enough spread out that it wasn't too hard to find our guide, who was propping up the bar. We managed to get a table - and gee, I had a view of four of the five televisions in the bar, without even having to twist in my seat! all of which were showing the same football match. Don't ask me who was playing, I had no interest. Anyway, after we'd had a drink (a nice, and cheaply priced, white wine for me), and a chat, and the last of our number had arrived - we set off.


Not very far - this very building once housed a music club where some very famous people got their start. The Beatles, of course - as per the title of the talk - but it was also the scene of U2's first gig in London! Aww..

While we were discussing this, additional input was added by a loud-voiced staffy, chained up in an adjacent van. So, moving on, right next door we came to the former Decca Studios! where the Beatles had a disappointing session. Since bought by the English National Opera, who use it for rehearsals. But that wasn't all - this area seems to be a real hub for musicians, many of whom lived around here.

Still, that wasn't the sum total of our night - West Hampstead is well served for transport options, and we were just a short hop from the Overground station, where we took a train to Kilburn. Gee, A. A. Milne was born here - and George Orwell lived just down the road! Honestly, the history you find in the most unassuming places.


We finished the night, most enjoyably, in the Priory Tavern - named for the priory that existed, back in the Middle Ages. In this most Irish of neighbourhoods, two Irish businessmen were having a conversation at the bar - but, it being a beautiful night, we sat outside. And had a fine old time, even if yet another staffy, at the next table, caused something of a disturbance. As usual, a most convivial group - I'm really looking forward to my next outing with them.

With several transport options from there, I took the Overground back to Euston with those still remaining, once the pub closed - and then the Tube. Actually, as it turned out, I was headed the same way as Mary, but not being used to this route, I took the other way, only realising when I couldn't see my destination on any signs! Back too late to blog last night, then. Tonight, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre (gee, Hampstead again!). I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends saw it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night when I looked.

Tomorrow, Helen is in town and we're headed for food. Somewhere. In the evening, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On Sunday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats.. all day, as it happens. See, one of the organisers went crazy booking things the other day - it seems there's a day of free events at the V&A, with the theme of censorship. The day starts with Decorum X: Brunch with Bite.. tickets required. This is followed by a talk on Censorship on the Elizabethan Stage, then finally comes a performance by Belarus Free Theatre (the only theatre company in Europe banned by its government on political grounds, it seems), with Artists Fighting Oppression. Sold out now, but he had tickets for us, if we were in quick. In the evening, we're off to a film music gala at the Albert Hall. What the hey, the V&A is on the way there!

On Monday, another Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On Tuesday and Wednesday, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: Tuesday is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. Wednesday is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On Thursday, the London European Club is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

On the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

Then we're into the Early May Bank Holiday - and I saw an interesting trip, advertised by Carpe Diem, for a long weekend in Bulgaria. So I applied for a place - only to be told that there'd only been six, which were now gone. When I pointed out that the Meetup page advertised 12 places, and that some were still available, they removed the event entirely. Instead, on the 4th I'm headed - with the £3.60 club - to Music Hall Monster: The Insatiable Mr. Fred Barnes, at Wilton's. Could be good.

And on the 5th, as of now, I'm signed up to an overnight trip to Newquay in Cornwall with Eddie's Excursions. This time, I got in the first six - ironically, they're not guaranteeing it'll go ahead unless they can fill a minibus! Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment