Wednesday 11 April 2018

Play: Pericles

Tonight, Up in the Cheap Seats was off to see Pericles, at the Barbican. Actually, Friday night's organiser and I had some fun after the show on Friday night, trying to figure out when we'd see each other again - tonight, we deduced!

Well, work kept me busy - but it was only about a 15-minute walk anyway, so I had plenty of time. Just as well, this being the complicated building it is, and me not having been in this bit before. FYI, it'd have been handy to have the following map:



This map is actually from the Barbican website, and represents the ground floor. What the original map doesn't show - and I did my best to represent, with limited graphical software - is the location of the Silk Street Theatre (actually inside the Guildhall School) and that there's a passageway leading straight between there and the main building. As it was, I went first to the main building, discovered my mistake (both that it wasn't in the Barbican Theatre, and that tickets weren't to be collected there), went back onto Silk Street, turned into the Guildhall School (where a sign directed people going to this play), got my ticket, retraced my steps along Silk Street, and found the group, by means of a considerate soul who waved at me. Honestly, has there ever been a more complicated venue..?

When the time came to head to the show, off we went again - and I followed those in the know, who took us along the passageway! (Location approximate on the map - it actually runs more from the passageway beside the Barbican Theatre. Then I lost the leaders of the pack entirely, eventually concluding that yes, those doors that said "Theatre" and were on ground level were probably the ones we wanted. And phew, my seat was easy enough to find, in the front row - where I also found the chap who hadn't come on Monday, and hadn't come to the Barbican building now either, so that I really wondered whether something had happened to him. Happily not, and we had a good catch-up, over the course of the evening.

Not really for a while though - this is an hour and 40 minutes straight through! Unfortunately, the front row bench, while upholstered, isn't the most comfortable for this, and we all shifted around rather awkwardly - as much as possible, given how snug the seating is. We remarked afterwards that the seats behind were individual - I think they might be a better choice for this production. Anyway, at least, as someone remarked, we had great legroom.


Yes, it's set in a hospital room. And performed by Cheek by Jowl, in French with English surtitles. (That's Pericles himself, in the bed, conserving his energy for what's to come.) The whole thing - a tale of seafaring derring-do - is portrayed as the product of his feverish imagination, as his vivid fantasies are brought to life. Four other major cast members, and two minor ones, fulfil different roles over the course of the show.

I hadn't thought I'd seen this play before, but now I think I have! The central story sounded very familiar. I'll tell you this for nothing, though - I've certainly never seen a production like it. They carry the story pretty well - but what's remarkable is the way they do it. Anarchic and frequently hilarious, they have a perfect comic touch, playing for laughs a play that is, generally, bonkers - but also capable of displaying pathos towards the end. I really enjoyed this - recommended, for an alternative night out. Runs until the 21st.

Afterwards, we stood around and chatted for a while, before wending our separate ways home. It was a good night, albeit quite wintry on the walk home, what with fog and misty rain. Tomorrow, the London European Club (LEC) is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On Monday, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups, London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night (until they cancel!), for The Story of Accent and Identity.

On Tuesday, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

Next Wednesday, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is  called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

On the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the LEC is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment