Tuesday 10 April 2018

Concert: Eva Oertle (flute) & Vesselin Stanev (piano)

Tonight, the London European Club (LEC) advertised a free classical concert in St. John's, Smith Square. We were to email musikolondon@gmail.com for tickets, subject to availability. I got one, and off I went!

Wouldn't you know it, I arrived at exactly the same time as the bus! Sadly, I wasn't as lucky when I changed buses - the #87 I changed to stopped after only a couple of stops, and we all needs must wait for the next. Never mind, I still got there in time - had to give them a printout of my email to collect my ticket (and a very much appreciated free program), and I headed into the cafe - where I had no idea where to find the others, most of whom I didn't know. I took the opportunity to run to the loo, then messaged them with what I was wearing - bless, they were sat very near me, and we were united at last! Confusingly, another Meetup group had bagged the table beside us - with a swish, big red Meetup sign. Different organiser, though. For our part, we had a great chat before we went in - no point trying to get anything to eat or drink, the queue was so massive!

Sadly - but typically, for free events - something over half of people who'd said they would come actually didn't. Never mind, it made it easy to seat us, all in a row in the rear of the main nave. Which was fine. And we still had a decent number.


The programme was a gentle one - the entire first half was Schumann! (husband and wife). I was rather glad that we did't return downstairs for the interval - honestly, I'd slept badly, and appreciated being left in my seat! No, instead we chatted.. and the second half provided more gentle strains, if somewhat more expressive, I thought. The Gaubert was beautiful - this was followed by what I think was my favourite of the evening, Syrinx by Debussy. Gorgeous Fauré followed, finishing with Poulenc's sonata for flute and piano. Such a relaxing evening - such an antidote to the stress of the day! So glad I came.

Tomorrow, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to see Pericles, at the Barbican. Actually, Friday night's organiser and I had some fun after the show on Friday night, trying to figure out when we'd see each other again - tomorrow, we deduced!

On Thursday, the LEC is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On Monday, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups, London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night (until they cancel!), for The Story of Accent and Identity.

Next Tuesday, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On the 18th, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is  called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

On the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the LEC is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment